• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

National Archive files on ME and CFS

Has there been a thread/discussion on the secret files at Kew?

I am just going through them having been posted by this blogger...

https://valerieeliotsmith.wordpress...-the-importance-of-fair-and-accurate-records/

Makes quite interesting reading. Reading about Peter White and Wessely fighting for CFS and describing the Royal Free Outbreak as a 'mass conversion hysteria' and that it is 'certain' they 'do not have encephalomyelitis'....(not sure what evidence this is based upon...)

Aurator

Has there been a thread/discussion on the secret files at Kew?
I don't know, but threads will be merged if necessary.
Many thanks for posting this! If Valerie Eliot Smith's is the only version of the Kew files available online she has done us a great service.
Salient sentences my hitherto cursory reading has thrown up are:
p.7: "Careful studies...have shown unequivocally that the fatigue these patients experience is SUBJECTIVE." (writer's capitals, not mine)
p.8: "Clinical management MUST (writer's capitals) include identification of the underlying depression and persuasion of the patient to accept this explanation...Graded exercise does and will help."
I intend to read it all.