• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nails and Tongue, b12 - folate

Does anybody notice their nails and tongue changing while on B12 and Folate?

my nails had white bands above the moon, they seem to be turning pink now. Which is a sign the blood is getting healthier. Unfortunately the cracks in my tongue are still prevalent.I think it's improving though. SLOWLY. Hard to tell, it changes

They say the tongue and nails are a mirror of the rest of my body. Still fighting digestion and bowel issues. loose watery stools have become a real pain. IBS they say, I know I have candida issues. I'm hoping my body gets healthier to fight it off and keep it in check. Anybody else have cracks in their tongue from Vit B deficiencies and did it go away, along with improved digestion? I'm back on charcoal, and natural antifungals, RS and probiotics to sop up all the water and hopefully stabilize my colon.

Thanks for sharing!

Critterina

For me, cracks will still appear in my tongue if I have too much sugar, acid (vinaigrette, etc.), or histamine-rich foods, but yes, cracks in my tongue have healed with my B vitamin-rich protocol. Nails are less cyanotic and circulation is less sensitive to caffeine (which used to cause the vasoconstriction leading to blue nail beds)

Thanks for sharing Critterina. How long have you been on folate, b12 and what's your dosage? how long before you saw changes?

I'm now up to 10,000 mcg b12 and 7gm of folate..didn't notice any much change until I upped dosage a few weeks ago

Critterina

I'm on 1 mg folate and, well, my B12 varies, but I take it twice a day. I am not patient like some, so I probably only get a fraction of the B12. I sometimes get 1 mg, sometimes 5 mg tablets, and use them interchangeably. It seemed like frequency mattered more than pill size. I'm

I started Feb 7, 2013.

The tongue took a few months. I just noticed about the caffeine during the last month.

It's hard to say with the nails, but I know I still had trouble this last February. It's compounded by the fact that I started on thyroid also Feb 2013 (which clears cortisone, but increases my temperature, which helps my nails), and then my adrenals gave out (complete cortex function), and so I started on prednisone, etc. I also was in some very cold climates (Colorado, Maryland) for the polar vortices and cold affects my nails - all of that makes it hard to say much about the nails. What I do know is that I used to get blue nails from a cup of coffee, no matter the weather, now I don't.

I have a blue in my nail too.. It's a spot in my moon. I'm suspecting lung issues though from the mold, get this weird grit in my lungs can't clear from time to time and humidity really brings it on. All the nail diagnosis sites suggest blue nail revolves around lungs But I guess it could be circulation too. it's definitely an oxygen thing.

My thumb was very dark brown, that seems to be changing, i think it's lightening up on the pink/reddish side, it's definitely changing. Tongue cracks are very stubborn for me. Digestion still sucks. I dont' think I can ever fully heal until the digestion issues get straightened out. Doubling down on gut protocols. hopefully can make some headway. I think that is the key to getting mood/libido back. The gut is the 2nd brain from what I understand.

Critterina

OH, to be sure, the blue in my nail was cynanotic - lack of blood flow due to vasoconstriction caused by cold weather or vasoconstrictors. It wasn't stationary or a spot. When it got really bad, the nails would turn deathly white with purple fingers. Warm water usually remedied it, at least for a while. Avoiding vasoconstrictors (caffeine, cold remedies) helped, too.