• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAG (N-acetylglucosamine) increases Candida virulence

dannybex

@Hip, I guess I'm a lot less concerned now, for reasons stated above. There's got to be some balance I suppose. Definitely feel like I have a biofilm issue, as I've had stuffed, blocked sinuses for years now (especially first thing in the morning), which got worse after abx, but have as a result, that inflammation you talk about as well. So I'll give NAG another try and see what happens...

Hip

I've had stuffed, blocked sinuses for years now (especially first thing in the morning), which got worse after abx, but have as a result, that inflammation you talk about as well.

Is that the main reason you want to take NAG, for the sinus benefits? In which case, you might also consider these supplements which I found reduced my inflammatory sinus/nasal congestion.

dannybex

Is that the main reason you want to take NAG, for the sinus benefits? In which case, you might also consider these supplements which I found reduced my inflammatory sinus/nasal congestion.

Well, yes, I guess it is. But that might tie with the anti-anxiety benefits, which I did notice when I was taking it. And after more reading, perhaps the TH17 benefits as well. :)

On that list, you mention an NAC nasal spray, but also said to avoid anything too acidic or tart. I've always found NAC to have a strong sour (or tart) taste. Are you using a buffered version?

Hip

On that list, you mention an NAC nasal spray, but also said to avoid anything too acidic or tart. I've always found NAC to have a strong sour (or tart) taste. Are you using a buffered version?

Yes, NAC is quite tart in taste, and I am sure if you snorted pure NAC powder it would sting like hell in the nose. However, I am just using 50 mg of NAC in 10 ml water, which is very diluted, and then spraying it into the nose using a nasal spray bottle atomizer (which usually delivers a 0.1 ml dose in each spray).

By the way, if you want to make up your own nasal spray solutions, it's a good idea to add a touch of salt to the water, to make the water into physiological solution (physiological solution has the same NaCl salt content as the blood). Physiological solution contains 9 grams of NaCl salt per liter (or 90 mg of NaCl salt per 10 ml of water).

I find physiological solution is more comfortable and less irritating in the nose that plain tap water.

Doesn't high dose Biotin prevent Candida from becoming virulent in the first place? Wouldn't that work to offset the potential for NAG to cause issues?