Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NAG helps noticeably but why?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Hindi1989, May 23, 2018.

1. Hindi1989

Hindi1989

Hi guys,

After trying tons of supplements I have finally come across something that actually helps - not significantly but noticable enough. It has reduced my brain fog 15-20% and given me 10-15 % boast in energy. It doesn't sound a lot but anything is welcome. So, why is NAG helping me and the other supplements which are too many to list unhelpful?

I have noticed that I urinate more often than normal on NAG which is little annoying but I hope it doesn't point to something serious. I also notice it doesn't work if I continue to use it unless I give it a few days or week break. Anyone else have similar experience?

Finally can you recommend some supplements which might amplify the effects of NAG due to their similar anti inflammatory nature. I personally believe most of my symptoms are inflammatory in nature so If I can address that I might come across significant improvements. Thanks to @Hip for suggesting NAG

mariovitali likes this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

How long would you say it took to produce those benefits? Was it within hours of taking NAG, or did it take days or weeks?

Hindi1989 likes this.
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    NAG is immunomodulatory, according to this study.

mariovitali, Hindi1989 and Hip like this.
  4. Hindi1989

Hindi1989

Usually within hours or day and If I don't take it for a day I can see the losses immediately. Though the effects are not always consistent in terms effectiveness. When I take 1500mg on an empty stomach i notice the effects more, and while taking it on a full stomach i notice less or nothing at all sometimes. I also notice less benefits if I take less than 1500mg. I'm thinking of increase the dosage to 2+ but I'm not sure of the long term side effects especially since reading somewhere about risks of diabetes.

overtheedge likes this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Sounds like it could be the anti-inflammatory effect of NAG that is helping you, or the fact that NAG reduces the Th17 immune response. Maybe other supplements that reduce brain inflammation might help, such as turmeric 1000 mg twice daily (not the same as curcumin).

6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I don't know a lot about this supplement (even though I took it as part of a "GI Repair Powder" from a naturopath in early 2014). I was just discussing it with @mariovitali who might have some ideas about it. Unless there is more than one supplement called "NAG" (but I don't think so)?

mariovitali likes this.
  7. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

NAG usefulness is twofold : It helps with T Cell activation but also helps with the Unfolded Protein response that takes place (Hypothesis). I notified Researchers about this hypothesis as early as 2015.

Here are two excerpts from the now infamous Research document i circulated starting from October 2010 :

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 05.11.23.png Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 05.10.07.png

The point which i am trying to make for some time now (3 years) is that we need a personalised regimen that creates the necessary environment for recovery.All it takes is for Researchers to give this personalised regimen a try.

@Hindi1989

I Hypothesise that you may have issues to Protein Folding / Unfolded Protein response Genes and this is why NAG helps you. But to get the most benefit you should also look at other Pathways (which are being discussed in the document i mentioned).

Turmeric that @Hip suggests may or may not help you (and actually bring a negative result) according to my research as it may impair the function of certain CYPs in the Liver

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Ema and Hindi1989 like this.
  8. Hindi1989

Hindi1989

9. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

I assume that by "they" you mean the authors of the Research document? I was the one who wrote this and there are several supplements being mentioned however this document is not circulated to non-researchers because i wouldn't want people starting taking supplements in a non-informed way. Apart from this, the hypothesis is that these supplements should be taken according to each individual's DNA.

Regarding NAG : You should definitely check if you are diabetic /pre-diabetic. Have you ever tested hba1c? Have you ever had a Glucose Intolerance Test? It is better to discuss your concerns with a Doctor.

The UPR (Unfolded Protein Response) and ER (Endoplasmic Reticulum) Stress are two very large subjects and their importance on many types of disease are now beginning to be understood.

Here is a nice video i found, i hope you find it useful :

10. Diwi9

Diwi9 Administrator

USA
    @Hindi1989 - Consider having your arginine vasopressin (also known as "anti-diuretic hormone") tested through a blood test. It may be low, which is not uncommon for people with ME/CFS, causing the need to urinate frequently. It can be treated with desmopressin and an increased intake of salt and fluids.

See more popular forum discussions.