• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC helped me sleep?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I can hardly believe that I've had 6-7 hours of straight sleep for three nights in a row. I'm also getting totals of 8+. That began on Friday, which was the same day that I began taking NAC 600 mg.

Other things that have changed which might be actually providing the effect:
-- there's been a heat wave (but that never helped in the past)
-- I must be evaporating a lot of water, because I drink a lot all day yet I don't have to get up in the middle of the night and when I finally do get up after 6-7 hours the urinary output is quite low
-- I started B6 a week or so ago

OTOH, my usual histamine symptoms are unchanged (such as morning burning eyes and sore feet) - so even though taking an antihistamine generally gives me better sleep and lessened polyuria, I haven't taken any lately, so histamine level is not what is involved in this period. I also don't particularly feel any more like concentrating, not any more than in the weeks past.

But last night's sleep was almost refreshing, and my mood is better -- almost feeling chipper and optimistic in the morning instead of just gearing up for another day of pushing myself and slogging through.

For a long time, I've been getting up after 4 hours as if some 'on' switch had been flicked on. Now that's suddenly changed. I hope it lasts :)

[Addendum: the other thing that I'd started was onions. I usually don't care all that much for onions. But one day, I'd had some onion rings and was completely enamored of the scent of the onions. So I bought a 3 lb bag on Friday and I'll keep having them, alternating raw and cooked, until they no longer are so appealing - and I then know that I'm topped off with whatever molecule that my system apparently needs so much. Maybe it's the quercetin.]

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
well, the good sleep nights have ended after only three nights. I didn't change anything, but I woke up after 4 hours and got a total of only 6. Polyuria returned also, so that's some clue. Dammit.