• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

N-Acetyl Cysteine?

richvank

Hi, all.

Note that the leading cause for liver transplants is overdose of acetaminophen (paracetamol, Tylenol). Some of these overdoses are unfortunately intentional. Also unfortunately, some are not. People who have low glutathione status (such as PWMEs) should probably be especially careful not to overdo taking this drug.

Best regards,

Rich

leokitten

I read on PubMed that a superior form of NAC was synthesized circa 2008, N-acetylcysteine amide or NACA, which is perhaps a better antioxidant and passes the brain blood barrier, but it doesn't seem available as a supplement yet. I'm unclear about whether NAC actually passes the BBB per se, rather it provides a readily accessible source of cysteine which does pass through and is of course a precursor to glutathione. NAC is on my list of things to try next as I'm getting very impatient with PEM and PENE, which seems strongly related to oxidative stress.

Here's a good recent review paper on NAC research, it's derivatives (such as NACA and NAC ethyl ester), and use in neurological disorders.

N-acetylcysteine (NAC) in neurological disorders: mechanisms of action and therapeutic opportunities

You aren't the only one who's unclear whether NAC cross the BBB, so is the research community as shown in this paper.

I also would like to try NACA and think it would make for a good study in ME/CFS.

cph13

I have not read this thread ☝️BUT...
dr. Alex Vasquez has lots n lots n lots on vimeo. A brilliant man. I cant copy link. I'm on the road
If I figure it out...I'll b back otherwise YouTube andvimeo his name wit "nac".

He also has afb page. I'm taking 600-1800mg. For copd...he recommends takng upto 4gf for active infection..

I never heard about it mobolizing mecury in the brain...but lcouhave missed it.

pemone

I have not read this thread ☝️BUT...
dr. Alex Vasquez has lots n lots n lots on vimeo. A brilliant man. I cant copy link. I'm on the road
If I figure it out...I'll b back otherwise YouTube andvimeo his name wit "nac".

He also has afb page. I'm taking 600-1800mg. For copd...he recommends takng upto 4gf for active infection..

I never heard about it mobolizing mecury in the brain...but lcouhave missed it.

Here is one study that shows brain accumulation of mercury with N-Acetyl-Cysteine. You can sabotage this effect by taking essential amino acids together with NAC, to compete for the limited transporters into the brain. It is also not clear if this effect only matters when your blood levels of mercury are higher than brain levels. These studies create conditions of acute mercury toxicity, and in that condition the NAC transports mercury to the brain.

cph13

Here is one study that shows brain accumulation of mercury with N-Acetyl-Cysteine. You can sabotage this effect by taking essential amino acids together with NAC, to compete for the limited transporters into the brain. It is also not clear if this effect only matters when your blood levels of mercury are higher than brain levels. These studies create conditions of acute mercury toxicity, and in that condition, the NAC transports mercury to the brain.
Thank you! Glad I'm not a mouse, :rofl: I do take EAA also. NAC is certainly helping with my emphysema and mood, I think. I will be nebulizing glutathione soon. I've heard really great thing about it really fixing the lungs. The alternative...oxygen...I'll try glutathione nebulized 1st. Do you have any input on glutathione and lung repair? TIA Happy healing xo C

pemone

Thank you! Glad I'm not a mouse, :rofl: I do take EAA also. NAC is certainly helping with my emphysema and mood, I think. I will be nebulizing glutathione soon. I've heard really great thing about it really fixing the lungs. The alternative...oxygen...I'll try glutathione nebulized 1st. Do you have any input on glutathione and lung repair? TIA Happy healing xo C

I do not know much about glutathione and the lung. Chris Masterjohn has a lot of Youtube videos saying it treats asthma.