• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mystery condition: I react to ALL Food, herbal supplements and spices - Why?

anxiety causes u to react to food causing these symptoms ? i am confused as i react like drob31 does i notice my ear ringing gets louder within min of eating and most times my other symptoms are the worst 20 hours after eating and takes about 3 days to get back to my best again i got some anxiety medicine escitalopram (Lexapro) but never took it because it seems food related and read that if u have leaky gut these anxiety meds can make u worst cigarettes make me worst to and i react to everything right now i can eat cabbage and steak made from beef i may also be able to eat lettuce i react to tons of stuff pork, cheese, eggs, flax seeds, chicken.corn ingredients , supplements, dairy. grains ect have had these symptoms over 2 years 24/7 no doctors has been any help and i had h pylori and gave ppi and 2 antibiotics seem the antibiotics caused it started about a week after that i cant take anything to even help leaky gut i react to it all it seems some of my symptoms was hot flashes, brain fog , blood shot eyes, burning eyes mouth and joints, bone pain, flank pain. head and face tension, confusion, slurred speech. ringing ears, ect if u or have gone threw this and have any advise please help

Thanks for that info kangasue i am curious if the anxiety meds help with reacting to food as i had cancer and my doctor blamed my cancer or anxiety as a cause as everything comes back normal i did just lose my dad and found out i had cancer 6 months later and my grandparents a few years back i have been like this for over 2 years and since i improve on eating a certain food and worst everytime i eat others hard to think it is anxiety i did get the pills never took them just holding on them i am scared they will mess me up more i was fine till i took antibiotics and ppi i feel some how those pills caused all this

Thanks for that info kangasue i am curious if the anxiety meds help with reacting to food as i had cancer and my doctor blamed my cancer or anxiety as a cause as everything comes back normal i did just loose my dad about 2 years ago and found out i had cancer 6 months later and my grandparents a few years back i have been like this for over 2 years and since i improve on eating a certain food and worst everytime i eat others hard to think it is anxiety i did get the pills never took them just holding on them i am scared they will mess me up more i was fine till i took antibiotics and ppi i feel some how those pills caused all this

kangaSue

Thanks for that info kangasue i am curious if the anxiety meds help with reacting to food as i had cancer and my doctor blamed my cancer or anxiety as a cause as everything comes back normal i did just lose my dad and found out i had cancer 6 months later and my grandparents a few years back i have been like this for over 2 years and since i improve on eating a certain food and worst everytime i eat others hard to think it is anxiety i did get the pills never took them just holding on them i am scared they will mess me up more i was fine till i took antibiotics and ppi i feel some how those pills caused all this

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. There was a link on that site above that might help with figuring it out
http://www.holistichelp.net/dysautonomia-autonomic-nervous-system-dysfunction.html

hixxy

Anti-anxiety meds activate GABA receptors on TRP channels, calming them down and making them less hypersensitive. These TRP channels are activated during food chemical sensitivity reactions.

Last edited:

Rlman

@Jerry C @Fogbuster you may want to check out Dynamic Neural Retraining System (DNRS). They have many testimonials of people who were intolerant of all foods and now can eat again. I have no idea if it will help in your cases but at least maybe its worth looking into it.

i am just so confused been almost 3 years now i know food and cigarettes trigger my symptoms or make them worst i changed my diet and can eat a couple of foods and my symptoms are bare able but i am starving and miss eating the foods i like i mean i am eating beef steak and cabbage every night and the steak is killing me money wise but this is keeping my symptoms to a minimum i think i can get even better if i could quit smoking as i think it keeps my reaction going as i can really tell i react to them when i am in a bad reaction it like the more i keep putting what causes me these symptoms the worst i get i go back to my strict foods i get better not all my symptoms are gone but half of them i need some help on the quit smoking part but i react to pills too not sure if the patches will work but i have spent so much on things to only find out it makes my symptoms worst and half to stop taking them i payed 70 for some pills and i reacted waste of money i am told it is anxiety but am confused how that has anything to do with food and reacting to things and scared to take the pills because i think meds caused all this to start with i took in the past (antibiotics and proton pump inhibitors) i also had h pylori at that time i read on the net that it could be leaky gut and bacteria overgrowth but i cant seem to take nothing because i react to everything i did find some l glutamine i could take and some probiotics i take both them when i remember so if anyone has had this problem please chime in and help when i eat i get head and face tension burning eyes and my mouth or tongue burns arthritis pain in all my joints my ear ringing gets louder i get blood shot eyes my head tension would get so bad if i continue to eat the foods it would cause me to get confused and cant think or function i also have side pain on each side about where the kidneys are i also had heart palps and hot flashes in the past not sure if it was the meds i was on or what but i think that what comes after the head symptoms my symptoms come in steps worst i get the more sumptoms i dont let myself get that bad anymore once i found out the food connection when i get the tension i go back to my best foods beef steak and cabbage and lettuce i slip up now and then and eat things ofcourse i get a bad reaction but starving cant be good either so i eat the offending food and deal with the symptoms for a day and go back to my best food i also would get very tired with in min of eating i felt foggy headed i have bone and muscle pain if i go back to my best food the symptoms start to die off in a day sometimes i am almost back to where i was or sometimes it can take a week because i keep reacting to the ciggs and seems to keep it going i have not found any food to get rid of them all and i am sure there are many more symptoms i also hate to say and sorry but i don't poop at all and when i do it is skinny stool sorry again when i eat my best food i can only eat a couple things my symptoms go down the ringing is low my head and face tension is gone joint burning is gone pretty much all i have is a low ringing in my left ear and maybe still some upper back pain and my stool is more round but still noot going often as i should i went almost a month one time with out going the upper back pain is i guess where the liver is at least on that side anyway i have been to many doctors that they say they never heard of allergy causing this and there nothing they can do and my symptoms last for 3 years straight non stop i can only starve myself to control them i don't see how i can be allergic to everything so i am lost on what to do please help

Last edited:
i want to see the end of this so if u can help please do sorry for all the bad writing i want to get this tooken care of in case i need to take chemo or something so i dont react to it if i do i also think there is cures for cancer but it about money so i would like to do what others have cured there cancer with before it comes to that point if it does but i react to everything including toothpaste i went to baking soda for a few weeks and started reacting to that like i keep getting allergic to everything i try i am in a hole and need to get back out of it and doctors have been no help and its only been u people the net that have helped that how i made the food connection

valentinelynx

To be brief: as M494MC suggests, you should really look into MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome) and related disorders.

Thanks for the replies it means a lot i called around and seems that mast cell disorder is above our state pay grade and they know nothing about it

Mary

Moderator Resource
Elemental diet - Being on this for 8 days reduced my reaction to normal foods (gluten, alcohol, ready meals & dairy based foods) considerably and normalised my stress response and improved BF by about 40%. I felt very calm and zen after and was MUCH better at handling stress because the stress tap wasn't on anymore. Eating "normal" foods for a couple of weeks made me go back to square one again though.

I'm sure you know that for many many people, alcohol, gluten, dairy, etc. are not "normal" foods. I'm guessing by "normal" you're referring to a time when you could eat these things and not have a reaction. You really do need to listen to your body - if your brain fog improved 40% by cutting these out, that's huge.

Having said this, one thing you might look into doing is a liver detox. My liver was seriously overloaded with toxins several years ago (it seems from exposure to chemical solvents from a job I had a long time ago) - one glass of wine would make sick for an entire day, 2 glasses would wipe me out for 2-3 days. I did a liver detox under the supervision of my chiropractor using Standard Process products, it took about a month and was kind of rough, but my liver was much better afterwards and I was able to tolerate alcohol again. I also started taking milk thistle for liver support.

Another thing you might consider is FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth - not to be confused with the non-food grade stuff they use in swimming pools, which is not meant for human consumption. The DE can help with detoxing and killing candida and pathogens, and all these things can contribute to brain fog and may be part of your problem. I used to have a lot of problems with detoxing - even after doing the liver detox - my detox pathways just were not working right and then it seems through a confluence of 3 amino acids initially taken separately, many things that used to make me detox no longer did. these amino acids were glycine (which initially gave me a VERY strong detox reaction - I had to go very carefully with it), inositol and glutamine.

If you try the DE, go slowly as it can cause a detox reaction. The amino acids I mention above I think would help with any detoxing process, but again go slowly. But for years I would just keep reacting to things, and those amino acids helped me finally make some progress. Here's an interesting article about phase II liver detoxification, and it mentions these 3 amino acids, in addition to other important nutrients: http://www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/liver-detoxification-phase-II-support.php

Also, I have read anecdotal reports about DE helping with food sensitivities, maybe from killing parasites.

Good luck!

@Jerry C
I have a long shot for you.
Your condition sounds like this 19 yr old. http://informoverload.com/meet-the-man-who-is-allergic-to-food/
You may have some type of mast cell issue.
He uses an injectable mast cell stabiliser and a feeding tube that goes directly into his stomach with a special formula.
Thanks i was reading up on mast cells and it does seem like something i am going threw alto only certain or few doctors handle it like in the video the kid went to several doctors and got no answers same with me i read up on symptoms and it could be this i also felt almost normal and was getting better on high dose vitamin d and could not figure out why and i read up that vitamin d has something to do with mast cells and allergies so it does make since but i called around and allergist don't test for it and could not even give me any place to call it is sad that people half to suffer like this and walk miles and struggle to get the help they need when they are suffering so bad looks like i got to travel out of state to certain doctors that these normal doctors either don't test for or even believe in all i know is i am ill and i am tired of being ill and need help money is the problem and it is sad i been suffering for almost 3 years non stop and i am sure you guys know we are told it is in our head ect if they cant figure it out and sent home when we should be in the hospital getting the help we need the symptoms are that bad i prayed cancer would take me that how bad it is and could not believe i was sent home from the hospital and have got no answers i have read that some are doing good on Daosin but it contains pork so i am unsure if it will help as i react to it and the other brands also contains it i know food is effecting me and i am reacting to everything and this really makes since i hope one day i can afford to get the help i need

Last edited:
i hope u guys keep this going i have been searching non stop for 3 years and i keep going back to see if anyone figure anything out on many sites i may not say nothing but i am here you people are a big help and have helped so many i have lost hope in doctors and seems to be all about selling u pills and taking your money and treating symptoms if it was not for people like you suffering i will not have figured out i could at least lessen my symptoms by looking at what i was eating i tried the main allergy stuff and got no relief and i have always been determined in life and have never have gave up on nothing and always seen it to the end and i am glad i did with the food and found out that there is at least a couple of foods i can eat that takes the worst of the symptoms away i could live with that if i was not starving so the next step of going forward should be a big improvement i thought 2 years in i was losing hope but then i got relief with the food from the help from other suffers i thank you for that

Last edited:
was reading about people having good results with a antihistamine called Ketotifen in the pill form heard it works for food allergies and ibs and helps to heal leaky gut also it is a mass cell stabilizer just throwing that out there for ones that may be suffering from food and want to google it and read up on the info they can find i think the US brand name is Zaditen and there is research where they had positive effects with food allergies ect

Last edited: