• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My wife was just awarded SSDI

jimells

Does Social Security take into account whether your spouse is receiving benefits as part of the decision?

In theory, no. In the actual world, who can say? The initial gatekeepers deny benefits to nearly everyone. That seems to be their sole purpose. After that the process is arbitrary and completely depends on the ALJ, as @geraldt52 found out, the hard way.

Misfit Toy

So glad she won, oredogg! And good back pay is also a help! I'm glad for the relief in stress for you.

It took me four years. The best part was that the psychiatrist at court was the one who said, "Look at all of her tests, blood work, endocrine problems and surgeries. This woman is most definitely physically ill." The shrink essentially got me approved for CFS.

See, not all shrinks are bad folks!

With that....I won!

PNR2008

Great news. I got SSDI after the first appeal mainly because I went to a CFS doctor and he knew what to write, how to say things on the forms. He also helped me those first years that included the regular check forms, my local doctors didn't help at all but this was in 1990.

Anyway I was on SSDI for 25 years which changed to regular social security when I turned 65. The last 5-7 years the form harassment disappeared. The whole thing was grueling but that check and the independence it gave me was worth it.

caledonia

One year is quick. Congratulations.

Your approval letter will tell you if you're on the one, three or seven year review schedule.
One year - they think you will improve
three years - they think you may or may not improve
seven years - they don't think you will improve.

I'm on the three year schedule. In 15 years, I've had the long form once (similar to your initial application), and the short form several times. I go to my doc twice a year. I've never had to see any of their docs.

Hopefully you've saved a copy of your initial application and you can just copy that if you get the long form.

I don't know all this stuff about kicking off 60 year olds, but SSDI is going to go bankrupt in 2016. If Congress does nothing, checks will be cut by 20%. I imagine that Congress will wait until the last minute (as usual) to do anything about it.

out2lunch

I don't know all this stuff about kicking off 60 year olds, but SSDI is going to go bankrupt in 2016. If Congress does nothing, checks will be cut by 20%. I imagine that Congress will wait until the last minute (as usual) to do anything about it.
Some of the GOP Presidential candidates have already spoken about this, namely Paul Ryan. But you're correct that Congress will wait until after the November election next year, primarily because they can't afford to tick off their constituents if they do anything like cut benefits by 20% just before the vote. Nor can they do anything resembling a more permanent fix lest they tick off their billionaire campaign donors who are desperate to privatize SSA for financial gain. The politicians are caught between a rock and a hard place, so the SSDI can will continue to be kicked down the road until early 2017 after the newly elected swear in and take their seats.

Of course, in the meantime, the worker drones will continue to find any and all means to save a few dollars here and there, mostly in an effort to save their own jobs, which means stepping up the CDR process, even reviewing recipients over the age of 60.

Kicking someone off disability within a few years of converting to retirement SSA benefits is cruel, even if those recipients have actually fully recovered from their illnesses. Not one employer will touch them with a ten-foot pole. They will remain unemployable for the rest of their lives. Being over 60 makes it difficult enough to find employment when you're healthy. Now pile on years of SSDI and you've become a total pariah in the workplace. :mad:

Just got the official letter from Social Security. She is on the 3 year review plan. Thanks for the heads up @caledonia

I agree, our government has it's priorities completely out of whack. The fact that one has to hire an attorney to claim benefits they are clearly eligible for, from a system they paid into (without a choice), says a lot about how things work here in U.S.