• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My success story. Tons of biotin.

Eastman

Interesting about the anxiety.

I wonder whether biotin reduces anxiety by reducing acetylcholine, since it should reduce acetyl-CoA production by diverting some pyruvate to oxaloacetate production and by diverting some acetyl-CoA to fatty acid production.

S-VV

Targeting demyelination and virtual hypoxia with high-dose biotin as a treatment for progressive multiple sclerosis - ScienceDirect

Malonyl-CoA also coordinates the balance between fatty acid synthesis and fatty acid oxidation. As cytosolic levels of malonyl-CoA increase, the rate of fatty acid synthesis increases; as peri-mitochondrial levels of malonyl-CoA from the reaction catalyzed by ACC2 increase, carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1 (CPT1) is inhibited and the rate of fatty acid transport into mitochondria decreases leading to reduced fatty acid beta oxidation (Foster, 2012; McGarry et al., 1978). Therefore, high-dose biotin may be acting as a promyelinogenic agent through its role as a cofactor for ACC1 and ACC2​

High dose Biotin inhibits fatty acid transport to the mitochondria, reducing B-oxidation. This is important because oxidizing fatty acids requires more O2 than oxidizing glucose. So in hypoxic conditions, the ATP yield will be greater by forcing the body to use glucose.

Interestingly the latvian doping drug Meldonium, originally intended for ischemia-reperfusion injury, also inhibits fatty acid transport to the mitochondria.

pattismith

That is a high dose to begin with, have you considered starting more slowly, like say 50 mg a day? That still is a high dose.
Not sur I will keep trying it, I also had a massive acne attack on my face, I never had that skin inflammation level before.:woot:

Looking for some possible explanation, I found Biotin upregulates IL-1beta, which is not what I'm looking for...

Biotin Supplementation Increases Expression of Genes Encoding Interferon-γ, Interleukin-1β, and 3-Methylcrotonyl-CoA Carboxylase, and Decreases Expression of the Gene Encoding Interleukin-4 in Human Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

Hmm. A half a gram of botin? Looks more like a typo and micrograms were ment.
yes 500 mg is the pharmacological dose for a rare disorder of the basal ganglia responsive to high dose Thiamine+Biotin

Subcortical brain segment volumes in Gulf War Illness and ME/CFS (Martinez Addiego et al., 2021) | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

My blood lactates are elevated, and I wanted to know if biotin has any influence on it.
Interestingly this high biotin regimen seems to fix my high lactates, whereas thiamine doesn't change it

acrosstheveil

some people say biotin is great to take if you have fungal overgrowth and some other sources are saying the opposite. so which is it? if i have problem with SIFO, should I be taking biotin or avoiding it?