• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My SNPs: weirdness explained

Valentijn

However, if it were, say, AT, that would have to be a mutation, since the inverse (TA) is not a suggested base pair?
23andMe wouldn't be able to report it like that. As far as I can tell, they only can handle binary results. So if the allele isn't "C" they seem to assume it must be "T", for example. For nearly all of the SNPs which they test, this isn't a problem, because the possible results really are that binary. They simply don't test SNPs which have 3 or 4 possible results at all, which is why there's almost no HLA genetic data available from 23andME.

Hence 23andMe will only report the two alleles which they list as options. It's possible that there are more options in a few cases, but I've only seen a strong indication of that in the mitochondrial DNA, where they get no-calls at the same place for everyone with a certain maternal haplogroup, etc. But that isn't happening at all on CBS, or the vast majority of other genes.

WoolPippi

Here's what I wrote about MTR/MTRR back when I still understood it all.

I felt it explained why my cells were full of sulphur, why mB12 got things going spectacularly and why my homocysteine lowered instantly (too much, according to the lab).

It shows how a combination of +/+ on both MTR and MTRR makes for a double whammy. MTRR is supposed to make mB12 for MTR to function. If it doesn't and you supplement mB12 in a large dose (say 1 mg) MTR has a field day.

WoolPippi

In this post I ponder that MTR/MTRR needs a lot of progesteron. And that I need to take the detoxing via mB12 slowly.

And a visual of how waste gets stored in cells and how it gets stuck in the body over time if you don't have a good waste deposal system. Because enzymes don't function optimally. (I'm thinking of enzymes that convert waste into other bits that are easier handled; enzymes that help traverse the cell membrane)

white-cell-garbage-bag.jpg

Cells keep their garbage in a pouch at one end of the cell. As the cell divides only one of its offspring gets the bag. Some cells will get filled to the brim with hereditary garbage, others have only their own garbage to deal with. Just a theory.
cell-divide-garbage.jpg

Gondwanaland

I'm -/- for MAOA and also can't tolerate anything involving serotonin either.
It is toxic after all. Ray Peat has a legion of followers pursuing a diet to lower serotonin.
HIs diet deliberately increases uric acid...:bulb: perhaps my too high uric acid (up to metabolic acidosis) is some sort of defense against serotonin and the escess ammonia from its degaration.

Perhaps you already have too much of this from your bacterial infetions Val, making serotoning a poison for you too.

What genetic testing doesn't account for is infections and microbiome. An unbalanced mucrobiome might be contributing to the toxic burden and exacerbationg effects from SNPs or even mimicking them. :alien:

Sidereal

Several studies from the 1990s showed people with ME/CFS have aberrant response to serotonin. No study has shown benefit from SSRIs. This has not stopped 99.9% of doctors pretending ME/CFS is a form of depression and recommending serotonergic drugs to their ME/CFS patients.

Serotonin is fatiguing. If they thought about it even for a second instead of mindlessly handing out Rx, fewer patients would feel like killing themselves when they take these drugs.

That isn't to say there aren't exceptions to the rule, say people with comorbid OCD who do benefit from SSRI to dampen down the dopamine driven show, but that's a minority. Most have dopamine deficiency and excess prolactin.

Personally, one capsule of 5-HTP gives me mild serotonin syndrome.

I'm MAO-A +/+ but I'm not really sure what role this plays in all this. I think the problem is acquired not genetic.

Gondwanaland

Personally, one capsule of 5-HTP gives me mild serotonin syndrome.
I get a severe serotonin syndrome for 25mg 5-Htp, while my husband has been finding help from 50mg daily (high dopamin).
I'm MAO-A +/+ but I'm not really sure what role this plays in all this. I think the problem is acquired not genetic.
I think so too, but it surely adds to the burden.

Gondwanaland

@WoolPippi please aplogize me for engaging in parallel discussions... I am trying to catch some breath to read your long post. There has been little room in my head for new and overwhelming info :rolleyes:
Thank you so much for putting all the time and effort to explain your interpretations :hug:

WoolPippi

I think the relation between serotonine and MAO A is not clear to us yet. It's probably not as straight forward as we'd like. Just like all that "warrior gene" talk, it's wanting the world to be simple. It isn't.

I think MAO A +/+ has most effect when looking at the excitatory neurotransmitters as a group. Mainly epinephrine. Serotonine not so much.
The effect is noticeable in a way a person gets excited. I "ignite" easier than another. I don't mean in anger but in enthusiasm; in alertness. In decisiveness. Typical Epinefrine-traits, I believe.
It takes me longer to wind down than other people. Once excited, these neurons keep bouncing around my synapses, it seems.

other anecdotal info: the MAO A gene is located on the X chromosome. For me, as a female, to have +/+ means my father only ever had a + and my mother has at least 1. She has the same mid night insomnia I had. My brother has too. It's some sort of cortisol-surge. Or slowly broken down epinephrine? You wake up all alert and ready to do something, anything. Your mind is sharp. But you're not alarmed or sweaty. It's only the brain that's on.
It takes 90 minutes for it to subside. (Half life time of epinefrine ought to be minutes so no idea)

Looking at my fathers family you can clearly see the "easily ignitied, keep going duracell bunny-trait" running in the family: the girls have it more so than the men but some men (my father) have it worse than the girls. They are annoyingly driven and "quicksilvery" people and are always "on". But all have different characters and different situations in which they grew up.

Anyway. TL;DR: I think MAO A is more noticable in how exitatory ones brain gets and stays then the serotonine levels.

WoolPippi

@WoolPippi please aplogize me for engaging in parallel discussions... I am trying to catch some breath to read your long post. There has been little room in my head for new and overwhelming info :rolleyes:
Thank you so much for putting all the time and effort to explain your interpretations :hug:
yeah, sorry about the word salads. When I'm fatigued I go on and on...

Where can I find the liver SNP analysis you did? It looked like it had the colours from Genetic Genie

JaimeS

I promised myself I wasn't gonna get super-involved today, because I'm approaching overwhelm, but let me address a few things (hopefully!) quickly.

@WoolPippi, in your other post, don't worry - I'm not only using your chart. I'm also looking at where it comes from!

@Valentijn - thanks for your many replies! I hit 'like' a lot, but I don't feel up to replying in greater detail right now. Except
Everyone has no-calls - sometimes because their specific chip didn't test for certain SNPs
Wasn't sensitive enough to, right? A 'no call' means that the chip wasn't sensitive enough to detect that particular SNP. 'Not genotyped' means 23andme did not intend to check for that SNP - it isn't one of the ones they look for.

@Sidereal - I get pretty 'severe' serotonin syndrome - muscle twitches, what looks/feels like a stroke (one side of my face slumps), fever, rapid heartbeat, and a characteristic, localized pressure headache at my temple with low amounts of serotonin. That might not be 'severe' serotonin syndrome because it doesn't kill me, but it feels pretty severe!

@Gondwanaland , @pogoman : I did download the analyzer you suggested. The only thing I don't like is that they mention the same SNPs over... and over... and over again. I understand that they want to group them by health issue, but I'm doing research and I find myself looking up the same ones again and again. :(

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to my (and all of our) knowledge!

-J

Gondwanaland

yeah, sorry about the word salads. When I'm fatigued I go on and on...

Where can I find the liver SNP analysis you did? It looked like it had the colours from Genetic Genie
Yes, GG gives 2 reports: Methylation and Detox. Detox is actually liver metabolism. That is why I have a link in my sig called "The Liver", because methylation is just one of the liver pathways. Later I also added my Sterling's results, which are paid, but @JaimeS I find it gives much more info than GG (and GG is free anyway).

Sidereal

@Sidereal - I get pretty 'severe' serotonin syndrome - muscle twitches, what looks/feels like a stroke (one side of my face slumps), fever, rapid heartbeat, and a characteristic, localized pressure headache at my temple with low amounts of serotonin. That might not be 'severe' serotonin syndrome because it doesn't kill me, but it feels pretty severe!

How much 5-HTP does it take for you to "achieve" this state?

Gondwanaland

So. Leaking vit D huh?
But the enzymes for my Vit D receptors are not whole. My VDR Tag is out and VDR Fok is unknown. There's a high probability my vit D receptors are not too good at their functioning and on top of that vit D gets used up fast through this alternative path way. This coincides with a ridiculous sensitivity to vit D shortage, it will mess up my brain chemistry.
Could you please summarize how vit D and dopamine are related?