• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My SNPs - comments welcomed

Johnmac

My SNPs (from 23andme via Genetic Genie) are in the attached pdf.

I'm an absolute newbie, so haven't begun to try understanding this chart yet.

Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks....

Attachments

• John\'s SNPs.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 16

caledonia

Yasko says to treat the SNPs in this order SHMT/ACAT, CBS, MTHFR, MTR/MTRR, BHMT, MAO A, SUOX, NOS, VDR.

You have ACAT, so start there, then CBS, then MTHFR.

Go to the Heartfixer page for more specific information. What I did is make up a Word document with my SNP chart at the top, and then the specific SNP description from Heartfixer in the order they need to be treated. Then I had a custom treatment plan in the order I need to have it. http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

Once you get into the meat of it (MTHFR/MTR, methylfolate and B12), you'll have to be careful about ODing on too many methyl groups, because of the COMT mutation. So no Freddd type protocol for you. Keep some sustained release niacin on hand in case you OD. It will dampen down the reaction quickly.

In general, research everything carefully before you start popping pills. Starting with very low doses (a fraction of a pill) and gradually work up to full doses as tolerated. Start one new supplement at a time. If you getting a negative reaction, stop the supplement, let it clear out, then restart at a much lower dose. This is known as "start low and go slow". This practice will help you avoid adverse effects. Of course, you should run this past your physician before starting.

Johnmac

Thanks, have just spent a few days going thru the above suggestions (Heartfixer & Yasko's book) - very useful. I think I get the basics now.

I'm already on the 'simplified protocol', but will now tweak it gently - low & slow - to fit with the new knowledge. (I've been chelating heavy metals for 18 months, so am used to the 'low & slow' approach.)

I'm not on m-B12 as yet (only m-folate & hydroxo-B12). I'm thinking about starting a little m-B12 in a while - as several of my SNPs (with the obvious exception of COMT) suggest this. Sound okay?

(My physician wouldn't have a clue BTW - I'd have to explain it to him, rather than the reverse. Thus I've always been a self-medicator - the corollary of that being that you have to know your subject before you begin.)

I began the spreadsheet too.

Thanks again caledonia!

caledonia

Yasko:

Since COMT + individuals often have trouble tolerating methyl donors, they tend to do better on a combination of hydroxy B12, adenosyl B12, and/or cyano B12.

With COMT V158M and VDR Taq +, the body may have trouble tolerating methyl donors.

Dr. Yasko advises patients to rotate methyl-containing supplements (instead of using them all daily) for those with COMT V158M and VDR Taq (-/-).

=-=-=-=-=
Heartfixer http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm also has a very nice chart on the COMT/VDR combination (they affect each other). It's about 1/3 of the way down the page under the VDR Taq heading. Unfortunately, your particular combination is somewhere in between what's specifically shown on the chart, so you'll have to experiment for what works best for you.