• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My recent restaurant meal (in light of histamine intolerance)

CantThink

Some people aren't good with nightshades - I think bell pepper is a nightshade. It looks as if it was in that meal. Do you normally eat it?

I'd be ill from that meal (though it looked yummy!) as I'm allergic to the allium family so I can't eat onion.

I wonder if you'd have been okay if you'd literally just had the salad leaves and chicken. So boring though!

Timaca

Hi CantThink~ I ate just a small amount of the bell pepper and onion. I've eaten very small amounts of those before without a significant issue (eg: what I experienced after the meal). I have had the same symptoms (even worse) after eating other animal foods (and high histamine foods), so I suspect it was the chicken.

Yes, my meals are pretty boring, and I have ordered just lettuce and chicken or fish at restaurants before.

But, my life has improved greatly with the rather restrictive dietary changes so it is worth it. Even my husband can see the difference in me (my neighbors too---one commented just yesterday about how energetic I seemed--and that was with my having a cold!)

CantThink

I understand. I have a lot of food restrictions and have to be creative with food - which works well at home where I have total control. It is harder on the rare occasion I eat out or of someone else cooks for me. These days I'm just grateful if there's something I can eat!