• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Methylation Experiment

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Today is my 8th week of HB12 and methylfolate. The reactions to the treatment are getting better each week.

From my appointment with MTHFR Support, I learned that B2 helps with reactions to methylation. It is best to take B2 for 3 to 4 weeks before starting methylation treatment. I only started B2 the week after I first introduced methylfolate and was having a bad reaction. I first learned about B2 from PR. :thumbsup:

I have been told to increase my B2 from 25mgs per day to 50mgs per day. I have done this and I am splitting the dose. When I have finished my current B2 I have been told to change to coenzymated B2.

I have also been told to switch to transdermal HB12 and to introduce transdermal adenosyl B12. I will be making these changes slowly and separately so that I can identify and keep track of any reactions.

A number of other useful things came out of the appointment which I will share later.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Do you notice anything positve from B2 or is it too soon to tell?
Taking B2 seems to have coincided with lessening of reactions. Also not getting splits in corner of mouth and nasty angular cheilitis.

With all of these things, it is hard to say which particular thing is working. I can say that taking B2 is not making me worse and I am very sensitive to meds and supps.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
@sblaque and @Critterina in relation to a discussion elsewhere on PR.

Just going over my notes, I can see that part of the rationale for B2 in my case was MAO+/+. This was based on my genetic genie report. I now have the Stirling report which shows more detail with MAO A +/+ x 3 and MAO B +/+ x 1

The Stirling report is way more comprehensive than the genetic genie reports and is well worth getting. It was recommended by MTHFR Support. It shows way more red +/+ than I would like in a number of areas.

We will be treating a number of issues aside from methylation. I don't see methylation as the single answer to my health problems, just part of the complex picture.

I would strongly recommend getting individualised advice on these issues. I am just sharing what is relevant to me.

Misfit Toy

@AndyPandy -you had a phone appointment? I wish I could do that. I am glad you are improving. This is great news! I have had a major set back. I wonder if in the US you can have a phone convo with MTHFR support. That is great comfort.