• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My medical alert bracelet

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Here is the bracelet I ordered a few weeks ago. I think it's so pretty. I added a James Avery butterfly charm. Has my initails on front and allergies on back. Also says, "See wallet card" on back.:D

frame.jpg

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Where Do You Get a Wallet Card and What Information Is Included on a Wallet Card?

I like the bracelet. I thought they were all ugly, but yours is cute.

Dainty

Thanks for sharing, Sally! I've looked into medical bracelets and I think if/when I become more mobile and slightly more independant I might get one. Did you mention anything about CFS or POTS or anything?

I ask because I've wondered about what I would put on mine....in my experience EMS doesn't have a clue about CFS, FMS, or POTS, so it seems that information might not work, but then again it seems that somehow the information could get through, like instead of POTS saying "faints easily" so they'll know that isn't unusual (I'm picturing fainting in a public place, everyone freaks out and calls 911, EMS comes and looks at your bracelet and actually believes you when you say you're fine.) Or instead of FMS have the bracelet say "chronic pain" so that their question, "are you in any pain?" won't cause a misunderstanding. I once was stuck trying to explain fibro to a paramedic...at one point he interrupted me and said, "I'm talking about physical pain." I was tired of arguing so I ultimately answered his question, "are you in pain?" with "no". That was okay because I was lucid at the time, but if I were more out of it such a misunderstanding could result in an unnecessary ER trip unless my bracelet indicated that chronic pain is a part of everyday life for me.

I'd also be interested to know what info you put on your wallet card, if you'd be comfortable sharing. :)

muffin

My doctor wrote on a prescription pad that I was to be given IV fluid REGARDLESS of what my blood pressure was. I had that in my wallet for two years but have since lost it. Fluids, regardless of what the BP says since we have low blood volume and a high or normal BP is misleading for some of us.

Tammie

That is cute, Sally.

I have Road ID - it's intended for athletes, but it works great for anyone with a lot of medical conditions, becasue they have an interactive one where you put all the info online. The bracelet or anklet or necklace or thing that attaches to your shoe (they have a bunch of versions) just has your name and the website and a PIN that medical personal can use.....there is also a ph number, so if the person responding is unable to get online, they can call and get the info that way.

On the website, there is a ton of info that you can include and you can change it any time that you need to.

If anyone wants more info you can just google road id and you should be able to find it that way.

Most of the versions are interchangeable (except the necklace - it's on a dog tag type of thing).....I currently have one on my shoe, one in the bag that I take when I am able to go swim, one wrapped around the handlebars of my bike (for the times that I can still manage to ride), and I also have a homemade ID card in my wallet with the Road ID website and my PIN listed on it......I know that sounds like overkill, esp since I can't exercise that often anymore, but I have found that I tend to forget to grab it if I just have one.....this way, I pretty much always have at least one copy of it on me somewhere....and I have needed to use it more than once

Sallysblooms

Mya, the wallet card comes with the bracelet. I bet you could google and print one from a site, or ask a pharmacy if they have them.

If you Google for Medical Alert bracelets, there are some CUTE ones. BUT, they can get to where they don't LOOK like a med. bracelet. I wanted one that was cute and looked like a medical bracelet.

Dainty, not being mobile wouldn't really matter to me, if I have a bracelet or not. Things happen at home too. Long story, but I can NOT have any Mycin or Micin drugs like Gentamycin. If I am home or away, and something happens I want the docs know! I have had close calls with surgery where they almost gave it to me!!!! I wanted to have the bracelet for home or away. My hubby knows to tell people, but if he forgets or I am alone at home I wanted it.

I do not mention POTS and CFS on the bracelet. You are right, they would not know what it was! I just mention the meds I have problems with and allergies to. You can write more for the wallet card. The bracelet has lots of room, four lines, I love that.
Yes, you could put faints, low bpressure or something. I do not have low bp, mine goes up and down and usually up. To answer your question, Dainty, I mentioned the Genta. meds and it said "see wallet card" on the bracelet too. On the card I have Sulfa Drugs, etc. I have not written stuff about POTS etc. It asks for your doctor and phone numbers to call too.

Tammy, that is NOT overkill. I have heard of those. We should do all we can if we have a problem. Then we feel more at ease. Just being ready for an emergency is good. We have smoke detectors, seat belts...Good to be ready.

I feel more at ease having it. Plus, it really is cute, ha. I love the initials! Also the pink med. sign. Cute is good.

Dainty

Thanks for answering my question, Sally! I guess the reason I feel I don't need one currently is because at this point I always have a caretaker nearby, who is able to communicate more fully my condition and serves as my proxy when I'm unable to communicate.

However, I realize that a bracelet can still be a good idea...it's jsut that every time I look into it I get all these problems with figuring out what I might put on it and then it never happens. BUt I'll keep watching this thread...I get the feeling PWCs might have some good ideas on this subject.

I have severe allergies and am on heparin, so those are definitely things that are needed, however, they don't begin to communicate even the highlights of my condition, and once an enrgaving's done it cannot be changed, and I'm so sensitive to metals that it would have to be only the most expensive kind, and this allergy testing is taking about 6 months longer than it was supposed to....

ALl that to say, I agree with you, but it's complicated. I'll definitely be watching this thread for replies.

Sallysblooms

I am glad you have someone helping you! No one has to have one, I hope I didn't sound like that. Too bad you have an allergy to metals. There are all kinds of alert bracelets with leather too, but you do want you want and need to! I just wanted to bring it up. Take care!

Tammie

Thanks for answering my question, Sally! I guess the reason I feel I don't need one currently is because at this point I always have a caretaker nearby, who is able to communicate more fully my condition and serves as my proxy when I'm unable to communicate.

However, I realize that a bracelet can still be a good idea...it's jsut that every time I look into it I get all these problems with figuring out what I might put on it and then it never happens. BUt I'll keep watching this thread...I get the feeling PWCs might have some good ideas on this subject.

I have severe allergies and am on heparin, so those are definitely things that are needed, however, they don't begin to communicate even the highlights of my condition, and once an enrgaving's done it cannot be changed, and I'm so sensitive to metals that it would have to be only the most expensive kind, and this allergy testing is taking about 6 months longer than it was supposed to....

ALl that to say, I agree with you, but it's complicated. I'll definitely be watching this thread for replies.

The Road Id ones that I mentioned have an interactive version that you can put any/all possible medical/doctor/insurance info/etc needed on them, and they are made of stainless steel, but except for the necklace version, the metal part does not actually contact your skin

no, I don't work for them or anything! ; ) I definitely don't want to push anythign on anyone either....and I realize that their design is more sporty than some people might like (thoguh you can get a bunch of colors and change them to match what you are wearing, they still may not be your style).....however, I just thought that if the problems you mentioned are the main reasons for not getting an ID, then this could be a solution

also, as wonderful as it is that you have someone there, there is always the unfortunate possibility that for whatever reason that person may not be able to be there if you need to go tot he ER or something (sorry if I sound negative or pushy or anything - really don't mean to - I have just had FAR too many ER visits myself & a couple of times was not able to talk, so I am very happy to have these) anyway, that's all I will say now - just wanted you to have the info in case it helps

Sallysblooms

Yes, that is one place online. Mine was Creative Med. Alert bracelet's I think. Also called "Custom med. alert bracelets" I think. There are a million to choose from. Some do not look like a med. bracelet so I didn't get those. I want medical personnel to to see what it is.