• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My experience with fish oils

Hi

I want to share my experience with fish oils. My theory is that my cells are inflamed and cant create energy.

I took a fish oil that containted omega 3 with high quality extra virgin olive oil.

After a week on it I got REALLY sick. I got really bad migraines, fever, puking 5-10 times a day, diarrhea, you name it. It lasted around 2 weeks, but not always as bad everyday.

After 1 month on the fish oil I couldnt tolerate it anymore, so I had to stop. But after that I noticed I got gradually better in the upcoming months. Every symptom lessened, and I could finally get a good nights sleep.

I wasnt cured, it was a long way to that. But I purchased another bottle after 6 months and experienced the same results. First sick, then gradually better. (noticed I lost hair as side effect)I have tried some other fish oils but only experienced a drop in energy levels while I was on it.

Now Im getting worse again (maybe because its winter and I got a job) and I really wanna try out the fish oil again. (but its expensive and I hate getting so sick, especially now that I work).

I read that it fixes the omega 3 / omega 6 ratio in the cells. I also read on the internet that omega 3 detoxes our cells and gets rid of inflammation, thats what I feel happened to me. Im also more hungry now and no longer too skinny like I was before. Maybe my cells wakened and needed new fuel?

Anyone know how our cells and mitocondria impact ME/CFS?

I wont name the brand because this is not a commercial. I just wanted to share it with you.

ebethc

I wont name the brand because this is not a commercial. I just wanted to share it with you.

1. I think purity matters, and fish oil had mixed results until I started using molecularly distilled products...
2. I experimented w fish oils that have higher DHA to EPA ratios, vs vice versa... It's worth trying. I didn't have success until I stumbled on Lovaza, which is an rx high EPA fish oil... when my insurance ran out I found some on amazon that worked for me...I recommend both - plus, they're cheap and clean.

a. 50% DHA, 20% EPA... molecularly distilled... $10 for #60
https://goo.gl/cdddCS
b. 50% EPA, 25% DHA... molecularly distilled... $11 for #90
https://goo.gl/x3sDZH

3. EPA in excess of 4g / day can lower NK function, which is NOT what you want if you have CFS! I take a max of 2 g / day if I take it at all.... Personally, I've found the higher DHA to be more helpful for cognition and pain; EPA is better for inflammation, though so I take it a couple of times a week or so..
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16600816

Carl

I did see somewhere that men and women react differently to DHA and EPA. I seem to remember that men found better results with DHA and women EPA.

Have you tried taking the oil with something to digest the fat? It might help a great deal. I use pancreatin when I take Omega 3 oil so that it is digested quickly. It does not get stuck in the stomach for long periods which is where you might of experienced the problem. There are other lipase enzymes available if you do not want pancreatin.

Learner1

I want to share my experience with fish oils. My theory is that my cells are inflamed and cant create energy.
That's an interesting theory. Why do you think that?
I took a fish oil that containted omega 3 with high quality extra virgin olive oil.

After a week on it I got REALLY sick. I got really bad migraines, fever, puking 5-10 times a day, diarrhea, you name it. It lasted around 2 weeks, but not always as bad everyday.

After 1 month on the fish oil I couldnt tolerate it anymore, so I had to stop. But after that I noticed I got gradually better in the upcoming months. Every symptom lessened, and I could finally get a good nights sleep.

I wasnt cured, it was a long way to that. But I purchased another bottle after 6 months and experienced the same results. First sick, then gradually better. (noticed I lost hair as side effect)I have tried some other fish oils but only experienced a drop in energy levels while I was on it.

Now Im getting worse again (maybe because its winter and I got a job) and I really wanna try out the fish oil again. (but its expensive and I hate getting so sick, especially now that I work).
Our bodies need a variety of different fats, from short to long chain. They're used in cell membranes. Having too much of one type of fat, but not enough of others affects the quality of membranes, and their permeability or rigidity, which affects how other nutrients and things travel in and out of our cells.

Making a dramatic change in the quantity and variety of fats you eat can definitely affect your cells.

Did you have any evidence you needed those specific fats? It might be helpful to do a comprehensive nutrient test, like a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval or a BodyBio test, both of which will show the various lipids used in your body and how much of each you have. Here a an example showing the different length fats your body needs:
BodyBioReportPro_Page_01.jpg

Through testing, I've found that I don't need fish oil at all, and I run a little high in olive oil, but that I need to supplement with flax seed oil and evening primrose oil. And that my delta 6 desaturase pathway doesn't work very well (usually because I'm short of something it needs - vitamins B2, B3, B6, C zinc, or magnesium). So taking a bunch of fish oil and olive oil would likely make me ill, too....

Over time, these fats can convert in your body to other ones, so maybe over time, your body was forced to make what you didn't have enough of from what you had too much of.

I read that it fixes the omega 3 / omega 6 ratio in the cells. I also read on the internet that omega 3 detoxes our cells and gets rid of inflammation, thats what I feel happened to me.
Again, the fats affect the permeability of your cell membranes, which can affect what goes in and out of your cells.

Flax seed oil and walnut oil are also omega 3s. And your body DOES need omega 6s. You're right, the key is the ratio of the fats to each other.

To detoxify and reduce inflammation, there's a lot of other biochemistry that's needed.

Im also more hungry now and no longer too skinny like I was before. Maybe my cells wakened and needed new fuel?
There are a lot of things that can affect this.
Anyone know how our cells and mitocondria impact ME/CFS?
In many of us, our mitochondria are not working at full speed. They may be affected by infections, the mitochondrial membrane may be damaged by peroxynitrites and superoxide radicals, or they may be filled with toxins which clog the membrane and limit electrons being pushed through.

Also, mitochondria need adequate nutrients: carnitine for the fats to work properly, B vitamins, and minerals like copper, manganese, and magnesium.

I did see somewhere that men and women react differently to DHA and EPA. I seem to remember that men found better results with DHA and women EPA.

Have you tried taking the oil with something to digest the fat? It might help a great deal. I use pancreatin when I take Omega 3 oil so that it is digested quickly. It does not get stuck in the stomach for long periods which is where you might of experienced the problem. There are other lipase enzymes available if you do not want pancreatin.

I normally take fish oil with a big meal that have fat in it. Or with mackerel or sardines.

Last edited:
That's an interesting theory. Why do you think that?

Did you have any evidence you needed those specific fats? It might be helpful to do a comprehensive nutrient test, like a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval or a BodyBio test, both of which will show the various lipids used in your body and how much of each you have. Here a an example showing the different length fats your body needs:

Through testing, I've found that I don't need fish oil at all, and I run a little high in olive oil, but that I need to supplement with flax seed oil and evening primrose oil. And that my delta 6 desaturase pathway doesn't work very well (usually because I'm short of something it needs - vitamins B2, B3, B6, C zinc, or magnesium). So taking a bunch of fish oil and olive oil would likely make me ill, too....

Over time, these fats can convert in your body to other ones, so maybe over time, your body was forced to make what you didn't have enough of from what you had too much of.

Again, the fats affect the permeability of your cell membranes, which can affect what goes in and out of your cells.

Flax seed oil and walnut oil are also omega 3s. And your body DOES need omega 6s. You're right, the key is the ratio of the fats to each other.

To detoxify and reduce inflammation, there's a lot of other biochemistry that's needed.

There are a lot of things that can affect this.

In many of us, our mitochondria are not working at full speed. They may be affected by infections, the mitochondrial membrane may be damaged by peroxynitrites and superoxide radicals, or they may be filled with toxins which clog the membrane and limit electrons being pushed through.

Also, mitochondria need adequate nutrients: carnitine for the fats to work properly, B vitamins, and minerals like copper, manganese, and magnesium.

I think my cells are inflamed because I get alot of omega 6 through convential meat and eggs. And by taking fish oil the ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 is more normal so my cells are not as inflamed and nutrients get in and out. Also gets rid of toxins and bacteria/viruses in the cells.

I never did any tests to see my fat levels. But think we get alot of omega 6 through convential meat and eggs today.

I want to try flaxseed oil. What benefits do you get out of it? I read about the budwig diet and she recommends flaxseed oil with cottage cheese, mix it up in a blender, that way its more absorbed in the cells and the cells gets more oxygen and can fight disease. Anyone tried it? I cant tolerate dairy thought...

Learner1

I had cancer and am very familiar with the Budwog protocol. Like you, in allergic to dairy, so I avoided it, but still beat my cancer.

The benefit to having flax seed oil or any fat you're deficient in is to have cell and mitochondrial membranes that are healthy and functioning.

Doing a test to figure out what exactly you need is a lot better than gurssing. I've been doing nutrient tests for 8 years and am repeatedly surprised by what I think I need and I'm doing vs. what the tests say, like the fact I don't need fish oil.

And I find that adjusting my intake based on test results makes my bad symptoms go away and I feel better.