• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Current Understanding of ME

msf

I´ve just written the first part of a blog about this, so I thought I would put the link in a thread since I often go months without remembering to look at the blog section, and I would like the blogs to start a discussion about some of the things I have been looking into recently.

Unfortunately, however, I started in chronological order, so the first one is probably the least relevant to most people, as it covers the onset of my ME and the particular trigger that led to it.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nding-of-me-part-1-what-the-hell-hit-me.2164/

The other parts should create a bit more discussion: they will be on sleep, the gut, and lactic acid/exercise.

msf

Thanks, I have been busy recently, so although I have been checking PR quite regularly, I haven´t posted as much.

msf

Ok, part 4 (I explain in the blog) is up guys, and it´s one you can really dig (or put the boot) into!

I am posting this because a.) I hope that at least some of it is true, and b.) by doing so I hope to generate a debate about some of these ideas, which should in turn lead to better ideas.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-understanding-of-me-part-4-lactic-acid.2186/

Spoiler alert - things I try to explain: PEM episodes, Metabolic findings, effects of mTOR inhibitors (hence why I need your help).

msf

Having thought some more about the delayed onset of PEM, I am not sure if the main mechanism is an secondary surge of lactic acid through the TNF-a-PDK-PDC pathway that the second study I quoted in my blog proposed, or whether the symptoms are primarily caused by some other mechanism (I was thinking about doing intense exercise before I fell ill, and how my muscles would be sore but didn´t have the heavy feeling of lactic acid buildup the next day, and I wasn´t sure whether this was qualitively or just quantitatively different from PEM). Perhaps two (or more) mechanisms are key to the awfulness of PEM (here I´m referring to the feeling in the muscles, I am sure there are other mechanisms at work elsewhere in the body).

Manganus

Spoiler alert - things I try to explain: PEM episodes, Metabolic findings, effects of mTOR inhibitors.

Well put!

A good request for discussion, i mean! :star::star::star:

I´ve forgotten which study it was, but I found good evidence that the increased glycolysis in the immune cells result in changes in blood lactate levels.

Yes, that might be a good idea.

It's almost unfathomable, that a disturbance in (relatively few) white blood cells might have such a strong effect on blood lactate levels, that it then influences all other cells and creates metabolic changes in all cells, ...or in many of them.

msf

Yes, it was a bit surprising to me too, but that seems to be one possibility that would account for the blood lactate level increases seen in sepsis (the muscles have pretty much been ruled out as a source). One paper I read said that there was evidence that in sepsis, the lactate is mainly produced in the lungs, but whether the immune cells are being activated there or in the blood, or whether most of the lactate is produced by some other mechanism, is apparently still to be proven.

Last edited: