Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

My conversation on twitter with cfs research and prof. Michael Sharpe

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Lou Corsius, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Lou Corsius

Lou Corsius

The Netherlands
  2. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    @Lou Corsius - good exchange! Prof. Sharpe does not seem to be too sharp :p (seriously!)

3. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

"If you read it, you’ll see he doesn’t actually show that CBT/GET is ineffective. Instead he mostly just criticizes the criteria used to define recovery in the various trials" - (the ironically named) @ cfs_research

What does he say about the fact that PEM is worsened by exercise?

alkt likes this.
  4. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

and there's this POV
    https://www.statnews.com/2016/09/21/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-pace-trial/
    “This is a classic bad study,” said Ron Davis, director of the Stanford Genome Technology Center and director of the Science Advisory Board of the End ME/CFS Project. He emphasized an additional problem: The study used such a broad definition of the disease that it likely included many patients who didn’t truly have ME/CFS at all.

“The study needs to be retracted,” Davis said. “I would like to use it as a teaching tool, to have medical students read it and ask them, ‘How many things can you find wrong with this study?’”

and this study of the pace study...
    http://www.oatext.com/pdf/GMO-1-117.pdf

Mel9, alkt, ljimbo423 and 1 other person like this.
  5. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

Japan
    Hmmm, Prof. Michael Sharpe suggests that Mr. Corsius would not be so concerned by poor quality research, if the results were the ones desired?

That's rich. :_

Mel9, ScottTriGuy, alkt and 3 others like this.
  6. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I'm guessing that Prof Sharpe doesn't know how to be wrong, and is a major projection machine... narcissism, much?

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    It's demonstratively false though, questionable biological research gets regularly criticised here (and the other forum).

Mel9, Dolphin and Mary like this.
  8. Lou Corsius

Lou Corsius

The Netherlands
    it is, as I replyed, an irrelevant question. He was trying to divert our attention from the fact that these studies are severely flawed. All five of them. Anyone can see that.

Lisa108, Mel9, Mary and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.