• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23 and Me Results: Can lifestyle override genetics?

Hi everyone,

I just got my DNA results. I already new I have CBS pathway issues and methylation issues despite the results.

Here some of them are:

BHMT +/+
CBS: +/-
COMT: +/-
MTHFR: -/-

I have more if anyone would like to look at them. ANy suggestions will really help.

I cannot handle anything with glycine, PC, glycinate, b vitamins or sulfur foods or supplements.

I am taking: zinc, ornithine, yucca, cod liver oil, BCAA's, mangosteen, magnesium chloride, lugol's, ALC, SBI protect, barley grass . Juicing and steamed veggies for 60 days to detox and remineralize.

Though according to my results I can really use phosphyl choline to help the BHMT. But it gives me nasty headaches. It has been suggested to take it with zinc to see how I feel. I will try that.
Not sure why I can't handle any b vitamins despite my MTHFR being fine genetically. So I guess my question is can behavior determine outcomes and override genetics? I think that's what's happening with my inability to metabolize b vitamins.

Hi everyone,

I just got my DNA results. I already new I have CBS pathway issues and methylation issues despite the results.

Here some of them are:

BHMT +/+
CBS: +/-
COMT: +/-
MTHFR: -/-

I have more if anyone would like to look at them. ANy suggestions will really help.

I cannot handle anything with glycine, PC, glycinate, b vitamins or sulfur foods or supplements.

I am taking: zinc, ornithine, yucca, cod liver oil, BCAA's, mangosteen, magnesium chloride, lugol's, ALC, SBI protect, barley grass . Juicing and steamed veggies for 60 days to detox and remineralize.

Though according to my results I can really use phosphyl choline to help the BHMT. But it gives me nasty headaches. It has been suggested to take it with zinc to see how I feel. I will try that.
Not sure why I can't handle any b vitamins despite my MTHFR being fine genetically. So I guess my question is can behavior determine outcomes and override genetics? I think that's what's happening with my inability to metabolize b vitamins.
Oh I'm also GAD +/+ which can explain my glutamate issues

keenly

The worlds leading expert on mitochondria says at LEAST 85% of diseases are mitochondrial in nature. I would personally say 95%.

This means genetics are vastly overrated and your environment determines your health. My gran lived to be 95 and never went into hospital until her last week. I got ill at 16. Difference? I was on antibiotics devastating my microbiome. She was never messed with.