When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mushrooms decrease by 80% EBV in oral swabs versus 6% placebo

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Theodore, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Theodore

Theodore Senior Member

France
    Decreased expression of EBV in gingival mucosa after a treatment of two months with Ganoderma lucidum, Coriolus versicolor and Lentinus edodes (2015)

Abstract

A randomised single-blind study was performed to investigate the efficacy of Ganoderma lucidum+Coriolus versicolor+Lentinus edodes (GCL; 61 patients), given two months, versus placebo i.e. Laetiporus sulfureus associated with eight essential oils (LS+HE; only 1/8 drop per day; 32 patients) against the oral reactivation of EBV with detectable DNA-EBV in oral swabs. GCL decreased by 80.3% le presence of DNA-EBV in oral swabs versus 6.3% for LS+HE (p<0.001). GCL is a harmless and promising association of mycelia which could prevent EBV induced-diseases. This preliminary study should be completed in order to increase the number of inclusions and confirm this finding. Additional queries may be tackled: should prevention require prolonged therapy with reduced dosage or may GCL participate to the eradication of other viruses such as papillomavirus, HSV1, HSV2 or cytomegalovirus?

Author : Dr. Bruno Donatini; gastroenterologist, hepatologist and oncologist
    Material : 200mg morning and evening intake of Ganodema lucidum (reishi), Coriolus versicolor (yun zhi) , Lentinus edodes (shiitake) from Mycelia company (Gent, Belgium)

Has anyone with EBV had success with mushroom?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    maryb likes this.
  2. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

wow interesting

3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Would that be 200mg combined or of each do you think?
    @minkeygirl
    might be on your list to try. Can you be our trial volunteer?

4. Theodore

Theodore Senior Member

France
    I think it's 200mg of a mix of these mushrooms

5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @maryb. Why you volunteering me? Lol I took something with mushroom and had a bad reaction from it.

AHCC is made from mushrooms so it doesn't surprise me that Someone else says it helps. I think @heapsreal did a trial of AHCC and got no benefit.

6. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    Also known as;

Lentinus edodes = Shiitake
    Lentinus edodes = Reishi
    Coriolus versicolor = Yun Zhi

ghosalb, Theodore and Little Bluestem like this.
  7. redaxe

redaxe Senior Member

I went through a bottle called mushroom 5 complex a couple years ago - don't know if it made any longterm difference.

8. Theodore

Theodore Senior Member

France
    So you have tried it for 1 month or 2? Are you EBV positive only?

9. redaxe

redaxe Senior Member

Dr Lerner diagnosed me with persistent HHV6 about a year and a half later and started me on valcyte. Apparently I've never had EBV, i'm always sero negative.

10. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Tried ahcc for several months with no difference . I have used another product which was a high dose combo of astragalus, shiitake and olive leaf extract with no improvement in cfs stuff but may have helped with colds etc

maryb likes this.
  11. M Paine

M Paine Senior Member

Auckland, New Zealand
  12. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

Reishi helps me feel better. Love it.

Theodore likes this.
  13. Undisclosed

Undisclosed

I am not sure if we can get much from a study like this. Can anybody access a non-paid version because the abstract doesn't give out the information it should.

How does this suggest prevention -- it suggests that taking it decreases the amount in the oral mucosa -- how do you get from that, to prevention? What exactly do they mean by prevention? Prevention of re-activation?

How did they get from their preliminary study to even discussing eradication of other viruses? This is not a good study at all judging by the poor abstract, poor study design. They really should have included a control group.

Also not disclosed on the abstract -- Dr. Bruno Donatini is the co-founder of the Mycoceutics company developing natural products from the forest. It's no wonder they are lookng at prolonged therapy.

That is a huge Conflict of Interest.

So what is the evidence for reishi -- there has been quite a bit of research:

--
    anti-allergic/anti-inflammatory activity
    -- anti-convulsive effects
    -- improved immune function
    -- possible hypoglemic effects
    -- might positively enhance gut flora
    -- and a few other things.

Some do seem to get positive effects from it -- how? I wonder if it's the anti-inflammatory activity or the improved immune function or both.

helen1 and Valentijn like this.
  14. Theodore

Theodore Senior Member

France
    You are right @Kina, there is a conflict of interest that I didn't see but I think if he cofound a company specialized in mushrooms, I guess it means he believed in this therapy.

I ordered 5 types of mushrooms (Reishi, Shiitake, Yun Zhi, Maitake and Chaga) from a german company, if I won't improve, at least it's good for overall health.

I'll report here if I see any advancement.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    stridor, Violeta and Undisclosed like this.

See more popular forum discussions.