• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Muscle growth & pain

Hey guys, I need help!

This is my first thread. I took 1000 mcg b12 and 100 mcg folate a day from the "holisticheal.com" for 4 months. A month ago my migraine was completely gone. I continue to supplement, and now a month later I am too overmethylated to consume certain foods that supports methylation. Overmethylation peaked with a serious sodium deficiency in an extreme and long heat wave, after which I forced myself (last week) to walk 4 km a day after weeks of occasional walking only 1-1.5 km. This left me crashed for most of this week. I could barely stand on my feet halfway my last venture and up to 3 days later. Now a week later I'm gaining muscle and bone mass in an increased rate as of today, though I'm completely out of potassium despite efforts to almost double the recommended daily value. Weight changes of 2-6 kg ups and downs became frequent, with water retention inducing the biggest changes in 1 day periods and even less. I can't do anything physically, having the most intense muscle fatigue of my life, with numerous symptoms of potassium deficiency and adrenal hyper-activity and fatigue (the list is too long to include here). Each episode is accompanied with failure in muscle test of the fingers. All symptoms intensify after eating, before sleeping, and further before falling asleep, preventing proper sleeping. Feet main muscles stiffness and pain became almost constant today with varied intensity. Muscle issues occur in the limbs and torso from time to time.

For a week now, every hour or two I'm supplementing with little niacin (flushing type), which seems to cease crashes in their beginnings. Also, my constant visual migraine-zigzag slowly returns periodically with improvement, supplying evidence that methylation is restricted again.

After being crashed in the heat wave for 3 days straight I've started consuming more protein and sodium per day up to normal limits. Also today my feet muscles pain doesn't respond well to the Niacin doses. Can bone and muscle growth contribute to the overall muscle pain induced by lack of potassium? Today it is going to be 300 mg niacin and over 8000 mcg dietary potassium. How much niacin is safe per day? How long is it going to over-methylate? Given that my body reacts to food sources for methylation, should I supplement with b12 and folate again in the future or my health will naturally improve over time? Am I at increased risk for something serious at this point? What else can I do?

Now I only take niacin and zinc. Test of 10 days ago (when I felt quite good):
Potassium: 3.8 (range: 3.5-5.1)
Copper: 70.2 (range: 65-165)
Magnesium, testosterone and folic acid were normal.

ahmo

Overmethylation peaked with a serious sodium deficiency in an extreme and long heat wave, after which I forced myself (last week) to walk 4 km a day after weeks of occasional walking only 1-1.5 km. This left me crashed for most of this week.
Please, let this be the last time you do this!:thumbdown::nervous::jaw-drop:

numerous symptoms of potassium deficiency and adrenal hyper-activity and fatigue (the list is too long to include here).
You say your magnesium is ok, but that would be the first thing I'd do, try adding mg for the muscle pains.

Each episode is accompanied with failure in muscle test of the fingers.
Does this mean you're using muscle testing? For your supp doses?

I've started consuming more protein and sodium per day up to normal limits. Al
Maybe your adrenals need less Na now, or as you say, they could have been depleted. For me, when adrenals are stressed, body rejects Na. and possibly less protein as well until you're more under control.

How long is it going to over-methylate? Given that my body reacts to food sources for methylation, should I supplement with b12 and folate again in the future or my health will naturally improve over time?
Small doses helped you a lot. Now maybe you need to take it every few days. Or divide it into smaller doses/day. It doesn't seem to me to make sense taking niacin to dampen this thing down, when it's perpetually too much.

What do you mean that your body reacts to food sources of methylation? Are you still migraine-free?

Hi ahmo,
Thank you for your reply.
1. The muscle test is the one suggested on one of the files named "start low and go slow".
2. I think that methylation is working because for a month now my migraine, my thyroid and my body did not respond bad to dietary intake of anything specific. I could tolerate almost anything. Now I can see a bit of the constant visual migraine leaching out from time to time, mainly in response to niacin.
3. After eating food sources rich in b12 such as chicken's liver (I'm having lots of food folate anyway in my diet), then I need more niacin to counter the crashes. The impact is greatest with betaine (e.g. quinoa or beet) and choline (e.g. chicken) consumption, which both facilitate and improve methylation. Reducing protein and the other supporting sources intake significantly did make me feel better today after a good sleep, but it can also be so because I also cut out dietary B12 and reduced folate food sources along with it.
4. My leg muscles are the biggest in 4 years now, with more muscles being build all over me without training, strengthening bones around them. This is quite scary for a chronic under-weight like me. I do not know how to respond to this rapid muscle development.
5. More salt is needed to fight adrenal fatigue, though things obviously change with more glutathione in the adrenal. Sadly, I could find no information on changes in salt requirement with hormonal improvement on methylation protocol. Adding growth and potassium changes to this, and things can get really strange.

Without tests, I think that my biggest fear is stopping the methylation treatment before time, believing that things will improve over time, naturally. I got no support whatsoever.

Last edited:

ahmo

1. The muscle test is the one suggested on one of the files named "start low and go slow".
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It sounds like you're really on top of what's working. Sorry, I don't know any direction to offer, other than the suggestions above, re magnesium, taking your supps less frequently. Congrats on your muscles!!:)

hi ahmo , i found some info

Chances are good that this extremely negative symptoms occurred to me because I kept on taking zinc even after my metabolism had dramatically improved more than a month ago. If nutrients are better absorbed in the gut, then I needed less zinc doses, if any at all. Going from hypo to hyperthyroidism in that time induced more copper requirement. Since methionine synthase requires copper, rapid methylation rate also should have increased copper requirement. Copper is also needed in the final steps of the Krebs energy cycle, which is known to improve with glutathione increase. Thus, the overall serious copper deficiency of mine that resulted directly and indirectly from lifting the methylation block altered my energy production and induced severe mineral and hormonal imbalances. It felt like over and under methylation together, which makes sense given the limited copper supply.

Also, Niacin "flush" is known to increase growth hormone. When elevated, this hormone increases copper and reduces zinc blood levels within minuted and up to few hours due to increased cellular activity created by the hormone. This activity probably was the building of my bones and muscles.

Thank you ahmo :). I think that just writing things down helped me see my situation better. I hope to help others with the info I found today.