• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTR/MTRR-homocysteine & TMG

juniemarie

Been addressing my MTR/MTRR by taking TMG but somewhat confused about what my results so far mean.
I'm taking a very small amount 125 mg 1x a day. So far it seems to be a mixed bag of side effects. My mornings are unbelievably not normal for me in a good way…….wake up early, feel refreshed, mind clear, good energy. But by the end of the day I feel flat and depressed which is also not my normal pattern.
My +/+ status on MTR/MTRR and my elevated homocysteine led to my decision to give TMG a try but I am not sure how to interpret the results of taking it, and how to proceed. stop? take it 2x a day instead of 1x? take less?
Anyone else with MTR/MTRR issue trying TMG or anything else to address MTR/MTRR? Theres not as much activity& info on the forum regarding MTR/MTRR like there is with CBS, COMT & MTHFR and I would like to understand more about it.

Valentijn

@juniemarie - No idea about TMG, but with MTRR A66G you probably need B12 supplementation. +/+ means the MTRR enzyme is about 30% as effective as it should be, and the B12 helps keep things going in the right direction.

If I understand right, the TMG is used to assist an alternative pathway for creating methionine. But doing it via the main pathway (MTR/MTRR) is necessary for other processes, such as the methylfolate cycle? And with your +/- MTHFR C677T and A1298C, it might be especially necessary to support that pathway instead of circumventing it.

Supplementing some methylfolate might also be helpful.

juniemarie

@Valentijn Thanks I am taking a multi b complex with methylfolate & methylb12 I know that I may not be absorbing as much as I need taking it orally I have the sublingual versions of the b12 & methlfolate which I can add back in

Critterina

Been addressing my MTR/MTRR by taking TMG but somewhat confused about what my results so far mean.
I'm taking a very small amount 125 mg 1x a day. So far it seems to be a mixed bag of side effects. My mornings are unbelievably not normal for me in a good way…….wake up early, feel refreshed, mind clear, good energy. But by the end of the day I feel flat and depressed which is also not my normal pattern.
My +/+ status on MTR/MTRR and my elevated homocysteine led to my decision to give TMG a try but I am not sure how to interpret the results of taking it, and how to proceed. stop? take it 2x a day instead of 1x? take less?
Anyone else with MTR/MTRR issue trying TMG or anything else to address MTR/MTRR? Theres not as much activity& info on the forum regarding MTR/MTRR like there is with CBS, COMT & MTHFR and I would like to understand more about it.
@juniemarie ,

The TMG is a substrate for the BHMT pathway, an alternate to the MTR/MTRR pathway for recycling homocysteine to methionine. Do you also have BHMT 08 +/+? That's the reason most people try TMG. Have you had repeat labs to show whether it's affecting your homocysteine level? That would be interesting data in your decision to increase, stay the same, or stop it.

I agree with you and @Valentijn that with MTRR+/+, methylfolate and sublingual methylB12 is a good bet. I believe the MTR +/+ is an acceleration, so a little increase of methylB12 may have an exaggerated effect, and can use up your methylfolate. Like almost everyone here says - go slow and if you start to have negative effects, see if they line up with methylfolate deficiency (or see if more methylfolate reverses them). I don't think the methylfolate needs to be sublingual.

As for your 'side effects' it's hard to say anything. Are you sure that it's the TMG that's causing it? Do you wake up feeling super before you take your daily TMG? Do you take the B vitamins at the same time as the TMG or a different time? When? The chemical pathways are so complicated that sometimes we can imagine what may be happening, it's not at all a sure bet. How to proceed? That probably depends entirely on how comfortable you are in making yourself a research guinea pig.

I learned an English word from an African friend online: Posology. It means when and what dosage. It sounds like that is the type of experiment you might want to do first: don't change your total dosage, but change when you take it. Maybe split the TMG you're taking in halves 12 hours apart. Maybe just take it 12 hours opposite when you normally do. The list of experiments can be endless...

My personal experience with TMG: I took it for a while but didn't notice any effects. But my homocysteine was in the low end of the normal range. My methionine was below normal. I mean, I felt fine, but no real improvement, so no motivation to keep taking it. I didn't have my homocysteine rechecked.

Hi Juniemarie. This is my first post on any forum. In search of answers for my CFS I often do research online as I'm sure most of us do. I found your post above and see that you've had a number of postings prior to and since. We share the same gene mutation and was wondering how the TMG ended up working out for you?