• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR anxiety treatment news article

PennyIA

I really like that they took the time to spell out that folinic acid is NOT the same as folic acid... it's nice to see it get a nice, long article like this spelling out that it's more common than realized and how it does help many people.

Bob

The article mentions fibromyalgia once, and also depression, autism, ADHD, miscarriage, stroke, migraine, hypertension, and other issues. Overall, it's an article about a specific genetic mutation in relation to methylation.
Six months ago I discovered my methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene, known broadly (and aptly) as MTHFR, is a bit wonky. Specifically, I inherited variations in the MTHFR gene, at the particular locations of C677T and A1298C, predisposing me to high levels of homocysteine.

This is a chemical found in a metabolic cycle called methylation that relies heavily on B-vitamins and plays an important role in, among many other things, mood regulation. MTHFR, when working properly, synthesises folate into a specific form needed to turn toxic metabolite homocysteine into methione, which is essential for cell growth and DNA metabolism.

Last edited:

Bob

The treatment it recommends is folinic acid (the bioavailable form of folic acid) and
methylcobalamin B12. And a difference should be seen after 4 weeks. I didn't see anything about dose size.