• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR and surgery (sorry if posted in wrong forum)

Hi, sorry for any inconvenience if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm due to have major surgery before the end of the year, and I'm not sure what to do. If you've read my other messages you may rememer I have autism (studies say 98% chance of having methylation defects) and am symptomatic of many SNP defects. Therefore, for me nitrous oxide is a no-no (bad pun, I know lol).

Has anyone here had surgery with an alternative anesthetic? I've heard Propofol can be used, however it is made from soybean oil which is estrogenic and as I have PCOS I have been advised to avoid soy and its derivatives. Sevoflurane is another; has anyone had that?