• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MRI with contrast

Snookum96

@Misfit Toy
I actually don't have any pain except if I try to sleep on my stomach and turn my head to the side. And I can't breathe well if I try to hold my head up straight.

I kept falling asleep lol, the tech said my legs kept jerking.

I see my GP next week and she will refer me to a neurologist to take a look. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

@Little Bluestem i have a copy of the scans and the report so I could take it to a physical therapist.

@justy
I wouldn't do contrast again. I have new symptoms since that MRI. May not be related but who knows!

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I wouldn't have a contrast dye as its contraindicated for people with MCAS - which some of us with M.E/Lyme also have.

I agree with Justy to be honest. However, in my personal case I had no choice as they were unsure I had a brain tumour, a brain adenoma, or just a 'cyst'. Like so many PWME I have MCS so was concerned of a possible allergic reaction, but had to take the risk. On balance I think it's worth it, if you have something as drastic as possible fatal outcome with a misdiagnosis, unless the medics know for sure, what they're looking at.

In terms of side effects, I felt nothing at all during the IV under the MRI (unlike some radiological agents used in CT scanning for example that as others have said, make you feel like you've peed yourself!). I did however, get some nasty urinary urgency afterwards, as in the worst I've ever had, as in rather like a UTI (ladies will know) with a lot of pain, rather than just the 'urge'. So if you have Gadolinium, make sure to drink plenty before and especially afterwards to flush your kidneys out as quickly as possible. (Don't get too excessive and drink litres upon litres or you could alter your electrolyte balance).

From what I've read, the contrast agent using in brain imaging, (E.g. Gadolinium) is pretty dodgy stuff, although there are differing brand names made by differing manufacturers that seem to have slightly different safety records. I did my research and found out the best of the bad bunch of contrast agents. I then checked the hospital was using the 'best' type, rather than the alleged, 'worst' type. That, I guess, alleviated some fears. Gadolinium being a metal (magnetic) agent is hardly something we want to put in our veins, or brains (especially as Justy mentioned with Lyme - Lyme loves metals), but sometimes I guess we just have to go with it.

Away from ME, Lyme, Contrast is a moot point for some patients as you all know I'm sure:.

Some are worried about the chemical (It's linked to fatal kidney failure in people with poor kidney function) yet others don't mind the risk. I was worried, but then I had to take the chance that not having a reasonably clear diagnosis might be dangerous (Ruling out brain tumour!).

Technically, you can see general brain anatomy on a modern 1.5T MRI without using contrast, it's just harder to be accurate by not using it. So on balance for people who are worried, I would go ahead with it, if you have normal
kidney function. (It might be advisable to have a kidney function test before an MRI with contrast procedure to put aside any worries).

There are some people out there who simply won't take the risk of medical imaging procedures (understandably fearing an allergic reaction to the contrast agent, or theoretical long term damage by it not clearing your body properly), however, with an organ as vital as the brain, I'd not risk misdiagnosis considering the risks in neurology of getting it wrong!

If you've got a copy of your MRI done on the latest machines (most NHS hospitals let you have a CD-ROM for a small fee) you can see actually why contrast is used if you compare you pre and post contrast images, it's quite fascinating to see a small darker vs lighter image of certain brain structures - that is all the radiologists have to go on, to decide what is normal tissue vs a tumour or a cyst (water filled).

Cheers.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I see my GP next week and she will refer me to a neurologist to take a look. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

@Little Bluestem i have a copy of the scans and the report so I could take it to a physical therapist.
I would wait to see what the Neurologist says. S/he may send you to a physical therapist. If not, I might get a second opinion from a PT.

The problem here in the US is that the medical system is set up to treat problems, not prevent them. I don't know if you can get preventative treatment there.

Snookum96

I'm having another brain and cervical MRI tonight, with contrast...again.

I still don't know why I reacted the way I did last time. I'll just try not to freak out unless I really can't breathe.

This one is being done in Canada so at least I'll be in a hospital if something goes wrong.

Gingergrrl

I'm having another brain and cervical MRI tonight, with contrast...again.

If you are worried about an allergic reaction, there are pre-medications that they can give you prior to the contrast dye. Do you have any allergies to iodine or gadolinium? Can you find out which dye it is before-hand?

halcyon

Does anyone know if the brain findings are common? I understand it can be caused by viruses but I thought I'd been tested for the major ones.
Has Hyde had you tested for enteroviruses yet? I'm not sure if you saw it but earlier this year Dr. Chia announced that he had found evidence of enterovirus infection in the brainstem of a dead ME patient, specifically where the pons meets the medulla.

Snookum96

So it turned out that I didn't get contrast. I was sure he had said he was ordering it but my brain doesn't work that well.

@halcyon

no not yet. It is moving painfully slow. He is great but requires an incredible amount of patience to work with. Interesting it was in the pons. I'll ask him about that in our next meeting.

@ScottTriGuy

thank you! Was much easier than I expected.

@Gingergrrl

As far as I know I'm not allergic to anything but I get a lot of weird reactions, often to food and medication but it's not consistent. One day something will bother me and the next it won't. If I have another MRI I will ask for that pre-medication though, just in case.

Thanks guys!