Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MP shares article on the importance of listening to patients

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects' started by Naomi10, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Naomi10

Naomi10

Dr Paul Williams MP, a GP and member of the health select committee, shared my article ‘The Power of Listening’ on Twitter and Facebook. There has been a huge response.

The article can be seen here www.alifehidden.com/junior-doctor-training

“The primary issue in my mistreatment has been a catastrophic failure on the part of professionals to listen. On so many occasions, my voice has been ignored by professionals convinced that anything I had to say was irrelevant, because they knew better. My opinions and views were invalid, for no reason other than that I was the one expressing them. As the patient, I couldn’t possibly know anything about myself or my health.”

2. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    It's a powerful article, really worth reading. This line struck me quite forcefully:

I did have a doctor once who believed I was ill. He was able to help in basic ways, getting me on a good nutritional basis, though not much else, but he always treated me with respect, listened to me, was willing for me to try new things I discovered. Unfortunately he died a few years ago and it has taken me awhile to realize how rare someone like that is. I never dreaded going to see him, unlike many if not most other doctors.

3. Naomi10

Naomi10

It is sadly rare to find a doctor who responds with respect and compassion.

Joh and andyguitar like this.
  4. jesse's mom

jesse's mom Moderator

Alabama USA
    Your article is so powerful and so true!
    I have noticed in the past few months some Drs being more compassionate about my illness. Maybe these younger Drs are finally not just thinking we are crazy! Maybe the use of Nurse Practitioners becoming mainstream is really good. They are spending more time listening to me.

CreativeB, Naomi10 and andyguitar like this.
  5. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    Part of the problem these days is that the medical profession think that tests can answer all questions, and drugs solve all problems. Cant see this changing soon, but I am hopeful that they might start using the right tests and treatments. Eventually. Glad you are being listened to @jesse's mom.

6. Naomi10

Naomi10

That sounds hopeful.

jesse's mom and CreativeB like this.
  7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    So true. I get this to this day with my states disability service.

pattismith and Naomi10 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.