• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Moringa oleifera - anybody tried it?

Ambrosia_angel

I've come across that too. Seems to help a wide variety of illnesses. From fertility to autoimmune issues.

I've just taken some since i had the alert. Are you taking any @maryb?

Ambrosia_angel

@Ambrosia_angel
no not taking it - was interested as I'd come across it a few times recently on the Lyme forums
Yeah its pretty popular. Especially in recent years. The only way I can describe it is as a natural multivitamin/multimineral with extras. I honestly haven't seen any improvement with it as i haven't taken it enough but I do think that it helps. Many people do see an improvements so I recommend it. :)

Sing

I have the powdered form and it tastes peppery and good. It improves my version of hot chocolate, made with unsweetened chocolate and stevia powder in soy milk. I think it would be good on stir fry vegetables with garlic, onion, maybe cayenne. I can only take a teaspoon at a time. I suspect it improves the endocrine system.

Abha

Abha
Hi everybody,
I have known about the Moringa plant for some years but i have never got around to using it.I would like to hear some updates from those using it in this thread.Also, has anyone bought it locally in the UK?If so,where did you buy it?On youtube there are many good videos re the usefulness of this plant.It is used to combat poverty and is being used in prisons too.I would like to grow it myself but the climate here is not suitable for that.Hot deserty type areas are best for its growth.

loz

Hi

I tried Moringa several times in the last year. Unfortunately I struggled with it. I seemed to have high detox effects which I couldn't tolerate, I have servere M.E and am very poorly. I still couldn't cope with it even when I took 0.25tsp (quarter) very small amount. I brought the powder from Wholefoods online in UK. I heard good things about it and really wanted it to help but like other things I have tried I found I couldn't tolerate it. It was the same when I tried maca and Holy basil, I just cannot cope with the 'detoxing' effects, well I think it was a kind of detoxing. Worth trying, like everything we are all different, just because I couldn't cope doesn't mean other will be the same. Good luck

optimist

A good reminder! Moringa was more or less the first "suplement" I tried, and I can't remember what I did to me for good or bad. But here the other day, I found half a bag of powder, but forgot. Then somebody lately asked me "have you tried moringa?", and then I forgot about it again. Now that I saw the thread I went and picked the bag up and took a 1/3 table spoon.

The time I took it in the first place, I had not figured out my food insensitivites, so many things where making me ill. No, I have that more or less sorted out, so I suppose it will be easier to measure any effect.

Hope it does something good :)

optimist

21g, about 1 table spoon contains:

2.3g protein
0.5g fat
0.06g sugar
4g dietary fiber
1480IU Vit-A
0.04mg B1
0.1mg B2
0.13 B6
0.06µg B12
5.5mg Vit-E
13mg sodium
0.15mg potassium
0.13g calcium
43mg Mg
27mg iron
26mg Phosphorus

optimist

I can't understand that you think it tastes good :) Mine tastes like a leaf of salad that has its taste enhanced 5.000 times! Like a very strong, bitter, green, leafy taste....

chilove

I still take moringa daily in my smoothies. I don't think its a cure but it definitely helped my mood and energy and digestive issues. It also helped me put on 20 much needed pounds.

Abha

Abha
Thanks Ioz,optimist and Chilove for your updates.
From what I have read and seen on youtube(as Chilove is doing)the moringa has good nutritional value so, it can be added to smoothies,soups,salads,stews etc.If it helps in any way then surely that is positive.THe RS 4 level tablespoons plus 1.5 teaspoons of psyllium husks(powder form..SAt-ISABGOL)seems to be helping me(had IBS symptoms/daily diarrhoea etc).I take all before bedtime.I drink the psyllium husks made with hot milk.I can form proper stools now, usually nicely bound up.If I add the moringa powder that may strengthen my immune system somewhat more.It might be better to take the moringa powder earlier in the day.

Studies from other countries indicate that the leaves have immense nutritional value such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids (Anwar et al., 2007)

optimist

The reason I tried this in the first place was hearing from someone I know had a friend who got well from taking it. But, if he was a real case of ME can be debatable. Anyways, I can't handle most non animal food, so if I can handle this it will probably give me some much needed nutrition stuff.

So far, I have not reacted negatively to it other than producing extensive quantities of natural gas and getting loose stomach. I suppose that will normalise after a few days. Too early to say anything good or bad yet.

optimist

Since I've started both my energy, clarity of mind and guts have improved - now time will tell if it'll last :)

Problem is though, that the only shop I've found in my country is now out of stock and I am soon empty. Where do you buy yours?

Gingergrrl

A little bump...

Just curious about this treatment - it seemed to come out of nowhere. I'd never heard of it before and all of a sudden it's got a cutting-edge study being done on it.

@Sasha I was able to get some info on this and it turns out the trial never took off b/c the company that made the the Moringa they were going to use changed the product. So we will never know what they would have officially found!

I am not able to read this whole thread right now but was wondering for those of you who have tried Moringa-

1) What brand do you use?

2) What dose or amount per day do you take?

3) What symptoms has it helped (or what do you notice from it?)

Thank you in advance for any info.

optimist

1) Mine says Grenera - it is from India

2) So far it has been around 2 tbsp, but when I get a new load I plan to try more

3) This one is a little bit tricky for me to answer, but since getting down with trhee flues this fall I was set back quite a bit in mental capasity. Memory got worse, and plain thinking got really slow and a bit cloudy. Soon after taking Moringa the set back more or less cleared up for me.

Now, the reason why I said it is a bit tricky is because it has also caused me to not sleep before until 4am, instead of the usual 2am, AND I sleep now 10 hours instead of 7-9... so the consequence of increased sleep can also be a contributing factor to the increased wellness. But, all in all - it seems to all be triggered by the Moringa :)

optimist

Now if you plan to try, be adviced that it is a bit strong on the stomach, and quite an amount of wind is to be expected :)

optimist

THe RS 4 level tablespoons plus 1.5 teaspoons of psyllium husks(powder form..SAt-ISABGOL)seems to be helping me(had IBS symptoms/daily diarrhoea etc).I take all before bedtime.I drink the psyllium husks made with hot milk.

Please elaborate this a little bit for me. Do you meant that Moringa has RS 4? (I haven't really gotten into the RS thread yet, but I am looking into it sloooowly from time to time - that thread is B-I-G). I have a bag of psyllium husk, but have almost not taken any of it yet, but I was trying some today. I took it with cold water, but should it perhaps be heated - or does it not matter?

Now that I am out of moringa, and axiously waiting for the new load to arrive by mail, I think that psyllium husk ease my gut in a similar fassion as moringa did - perhaps the fibers are doing it...

Abha

Abha
Please elaborate this a little bit for me. Do you meant that Moringa has RS 4? (I haven't really gotten into the RS thread yet, but I am looking into it sloooowly from time to time - that thread is B-I-G). I have a bag of psyllium husk, but have almost not taken any of it yet, but I was trying some today. I took it with cold water, but should it perhaps be heated - or does it not matter?

Now that I am out of moringa, and axiously waiting for the new load to arrive by mail, I think that psyllium husk ease my gut in a similar fassion as moringa did - perhaps the fibers are doing it...

Hi optimist,

What I wrote re RS(resistant starch) and psyllium husk was really not relevant in the Moringa thread.I take 4 level tablespoonfuls(potato starch) plus about 1.5 psyllium husk powder/latter with hot goat's milk.It has helped my gut/bowel somewhat and my sleep too.However, there are some nights(like last eve) where I wake up after a few hours sleep and find it difficult to get back to sleep.I haven't bought any of the moringa powder as yet, as I'm busy at present with other things.

optimist

I have to counter my claim on psyllium husk. It did calm my guts, but then after some time my stomach was filled with acid, so no more psyllium for me for the moment...

It'll be interesting to dive into the RS thread :)