• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More Toxic Cyanobacteria Blooms Being Reported in the U.S. - Any Association to Other Illnesses?

Wally

Here is another news report about toxic cyanobacteria blooms. This report is from Florida. https://weather.com/amp/science/env...da-algae-blooms-red-tide-health-wildlife.html

These type of reports are popping up in the news all over the U.S. (west coast, east coast, midwest etc...). Since the occurrence of toxic cyanobacteria blooms corresponds to a number of the historical cluster outbreaks of M.E., it would seem like this would be an interesting piece of information for researchers to explore to see if there is an increase in clinicians seeing patients with symptoms that might fall within the criteria for a M.E. diagnosis and/or other neuro immune illnesses.

Since M.E. has been seen in both cluster outbreaks and in what appears to be sporadic cases, it would seem that the cluster outbreaks might hold some clues that might be overlooked in the sporadic cases. Could cyanobacteria blooms hold a key to the added trigger that propels this illness to sicken a large group of people at once? Cyanobacteria would not be the root cause of the illness, but perhaps this added trigger for an immune compromised person could provide insight for pieces of the puzzle to explain cluster outbreaks.

Speaking of cluster outbreaks of M.E. or C.F.S. - do they no longer happen or are they no longer reported to the public because government health agencies do not believe these illness occur in cluster outbreaks? Perhaps some questions need to be asked of our government officials to understand what current reporting systems are in place should clinicians want to report a number of patients in their practice with symptoms which appear to have similarities to what was reported years ago in communities like Incline Village, Lyndonville, Charlottesville, Punta Gorda, Los Angeles, San Francisco etc...

Wally

For additional reading about how ALS and M.E. might hypothetically have a connection to toxic Cyanobacteria, please take a look at the paper linked in the thread identified below and the thread linked below titled “ME Is Not Mould Intolerance”.
See, Reply No. 159 on page 8 at https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...s-on-cause-of-me-cfs.60551/page-8#post-991851
and
Reply No. 114 on page 6 at https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...ntolerance-is-not-me.51792/page-6#post-856637

Here is another study that you might find interesting about ALS and cyanobacteria that involves tracking a cluster incidence of this illness in New Hampshire.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._possible_role_for_toxic_cyanobacteria_blooms

This hypothesis will still need a lot more studies to be conducted to figure out if it these breadcrumbs will lead to real clues about these neuro immune illnesses. But it is my hope that even though the CDC has dropped the ball in thoroughly investigating a possible epigenetic/environmental link to these illnesses others might see the value in taking a closer look down this trail.

Last edited:

mariovitali

Let's not forget the Liver :

Disease due to cyanobacterial toxins varies according to the type of toxin and the type of water or water-related exposure (drinking, skin contact, etc.). Humans are affected with a range of symptoms including skin irritation, stomach cramps, vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea, fever, sore throat, headache, muscle and joint pain, blisters of the mouth and liver damage. Swimmers in water containing cyanobacterial toxins may suffer allergic reactions, such as asthma, eye irritation, rashes, and blisters around the mouth and nose. Animals, birds, and fish can also be poisoned by high levels of toxin-producing cyanobacteria.

mariovitali

This is probably not good for Hepatocytes / Liver :

Hepatocyte deformation induced by cyanobacterial toxins reflects inhibition of protein phosphatases.
Eriksson JE1, Toivola D, Meriluoto JA, Karaki H, Han YG, Hartshorne D.
Author information

Abstract
The cyclic peptide hepatotoxins microcystin-LR, 7-desmethyl-microcystin-RR and nodularin are potent inhibitors of the protein phosphatases type 1 and type 2A. Their potency of inhibition resembles calyculin-A and to a lesser extent okadaic acid. These hepatotoxins increase the overall level of protein phosphorylation in hepatocytes. Evidence is presented to indicate that in hepatocytes the morphological changes and effects on the cytoskeleton are due to phosphatase inhibition. The potency of these compounds in inducing hepatocyte deformation is similar to their potency in inhibiting phosphatase activity. These results suggest that the hepatotoxicity of these peptides is related to inhibition of phosphatases, and further indicate the importance of the protein phosphorylation in maintenance of structural and homeostatic integrity in these cells.

Wally

For those (like me) who may be unfamiliar with the term “hepatocyte” (as referred to in the study mentioned by @mariovitali in the prior post), here is the “cliff note” version of the definition of a hepatocyte and what function it performs in the human body.
Hepatocytes (Liver Cells)
The major cells in the liver, responsible for its function....[T]he most abundant type of cell in the human liver.
They play an important role in building proteins; producing bile, a liquid that aids in digesting fats; and chemically processing molecules found normally in the body, like hormones, as well as foreign substances like medicines and alcohol.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0023058/

Last edited:

Wally

@mariovitali - I found this study re non-alcoholic liver disease and cyanobacteria toxic blooms that you (and others) might be interested in reviewing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4428243/ -
Cyanobacteria blooms and non-alcoholic liver disease: evidence from a county level ecological study in the United States
Background
Harmful cyanobacterial blooms present a global threat to human health. There is evidence suggesting that cyanobacterial toxins can cause liver damage and cancer. However, because there is little epidemiologic research on the effects of these toxins in humans, the excess risk of liver disease remains uncertain. The purpose of this study is to estimate the spatial distribution of cyanobacterial blooms in the United States and to conduct a Bayesian statistical analysis to test the hypothesis that contamination from cyanobacterial blooms is a potential risk factor for non-alcoholic liver disease....

Conclusions
At the population level, there is a statistically significant association between cyanobacterial blooms and non-alcoholic liver disease in the contiguous United States. Remote sensing-based water monitoring provides a useful tool for assessing health hazards, but additional studies are needed to establish a specific association between cyanobacterial blooms and liver disease.

Gemini

Perhaps some questions need to be asked of our government officials to understand what current reporting systems are in place should clinicians want to report a number of patients in their practice with symptoms which appear to have similarities to what was reported years ago in communities like Incline Village, Lyndonville, Charlottesville, Punta Gorda, Los Angeles, San Francisco etc...
@Wally, very good point.

Perhaps CDC should collect data on when, where, and under what circumstances patients' triggering infection occurred if Dr. Unger hasn't done so already, then analyze it for outbreaks and report them.

With Common Data Elements they could use their own 7-site study for patient data right now it would seem.

The question is more is there something we can do against cyanobacteria? I guess there people from the lake tahoe time here

Hip

Cyanobacteria would not be the root cause of the illness, but perhaps this added trigger for an immune compromised person could provide insight for pieces of the puzzle to explain cluster outbreaks.

The dual-factor theory for ME/CFS, where this illnesses gets triggered by a combination of biotoxin exposure (cyanobacteria or mold) plus a viral infection, was proposed by Erik Johnson, whose was one of the ME/CFS patients of the Lake Tahoe outbreak.

Rufous McKinney

A family of hikers and their dog were found dead in the Sierra Nevada....story is behind a paywall.

Its possible they succumbed to toxic gases, or possibly toxic algae. This is being investigated..

Oct Update: they concluded the parents, one year old and dog all succumbed to heat stroke and dehydration. It was over 107 degrees on the south facing burned slope, no shade, steep switchbacks and perhaps they ran out of water. About 1.5 miles from their car.

Its still being discussed, as its very perplexing.