• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More fatigue with reading print than computer: others?

Hi, everyone,

Wondering if anyone else finds it harder to read print than text on the computer (even if it's the same size) and knows if there's a reason (and ideally a fix) for it. I know we read differently (scanning) on a computer, but I don't know if it's that or something else.

This wasn't present during my first year of milder symptoms, but has kicked in more recently as things got more severe.

Thanks!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
This is one of the little things that for me isn't worth thinking about. It's so insignificant in the scheme of all the other things I have to deal with, that it's not even on my radar of things to understand why or find a fix for.

Daffodil

same here. cannot read books at ALL. but am always on the PC. of course, on the computer, I am not reading cohesive novels..just bits and pieces so maybe that's why. but I definitely do notice this too.

SOC

Hi, everyone,

Wondering if anyone else finds it harder to read print than text on the computer (even if it's the same size) and knows if there's a reason (and ideally a fix) for it. I know we read differently (scanning) on a computer, but I don't know if it's that or something else.

This wasn't present during my first year of milder symptoms, but has kicked in more recently as things got more severe.

Thanks!
I have the same (or similar) problem. The only thing I've been able to theorize about it is that whatever I read on the computer, I read in small segments while books require sustained attention. I can't read scientific papers anymore in either format. Can you read long papers on the computer but not in print?

nandixon

I have the same problem. For me, I think it's because the contrast for letters on a screen (I use a smartphone) is so much better than the contrast for letters on a printed page.

It seems to require a lot more "eye energy" to focus on the dimmer printed text in a book. I can hardly read printed text at all now. It's totally exhausting. On the other hand, I don't have too much trouble with the text on my phone and can read fairly long articles.

And, interestingly, I notice that the better my energy levels are the less blurry my vision is in general.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Yes, I have the same problem - eye strain and pain for days afterwards in particular from reading print books. It never used to be this bad for me though!?! (I'm 30 at the moment, have 'normal' sight)

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Hmm, I find it easier to read print books (though I can read only easy ones at the moment) than computer screen.

During a time that I can read a scientific paper (rare during the past 2 years or so), I would tend to print it out to read it, rather than read it on the screen.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Hi, everyone,

Thanks!

Do you make any modifications to your computer screen? Some of us need high contrast, and some need low contrast. Which category you fall into could change what sort of recommendation might possibly help for reading books.

For low contrast, I know of someone who uses a colored filter over the paper. If I'm printing something, I like to use a soft color (such as grey, soft green, soft lilac) or at least a non-bright white.

For high contrast, using a brighter light could maybe help? and for printed things: brighter white paper & darker ink. This is on the theory that things I don't like might help someone with the opposite problem... ;)

Alternatively, it could be the placement relative to your eyes?

Yes. Now I am reluctant to read a real book. I would rather have the ebook on computer or ereader. The ereaders I have used are harder on my eyes than the computer, but their technology keeps improving.

One part of why is fonts. Many real books still use serif fonts. I believe most magazines and all newspapers do too. With ebooks you can choose the font. With webpages, most use sans-serif. If they use a terrible font and the article is long, I force my browser to a sans-serif font.

I also enlarge the font on my computer often.

For me, the biggest reason I can think of is at the computer I am not holding up anything. I have to put one finger on the keyboard or mouse, to flip the page but I am used to it. With an ereader or book, I can't get comfortable. And turning the page is much harder with a real book.

Also, sitting up at the computer gives me more ability to focus than lying down or sitting in bed.

And the lighting on the book page is not uniform. Even if I had 2 or 3 lights on in the room, it's not. With magazines there is glare. On the computer it is mostly uniform.

soxfan

I have much more trouble with the computer. I can only spend 30 min or less at a time and only try to go on computer several times daily.

I have a much easier time reading magazines or books...