• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Modification of functional capacity of sarcoplasmic reticulum membranes in CFS - 2003

Dolphin

Another Italian muscle study where I probably won't be able to contribute much but thought I'd post as I found it interesting and also it doesn't seem to have got much attention:

Modification of the functional capacity of sarcoplasmic reticulum membranes in patients suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome.

Neuromuscul Disord. 2003 Aug;13(6):479-84.

Fulle S, Belia S, Vecchiet J, Morabito C, Vecchiet L, Fan G.

Source

Laboratorio Interuniversitario di Miologia, Universit 'G. d'Annunzio', Nuovo Polo Didattico, 66013 Chieti Scalo, Italy. s.fulle@unich.it

Abstract

In chronic fatigue syndrome, several reported alterations may be related to specific oxidative modifications in muscle.

Since sarcoplasmic reticulum membranes are the basic structures involved in excitation-contraction coupling and the thiol groups of Ca(2+) channels of SR terminal cisternae are specific targets for reactive oxygen species, it is possible that excitation-contraction coupling is involved in this pathology.

We investigated the possibility that abnormalities in this compartment are involved in the pathogenesis of chronic fatigue syndrome and consequently responsible for characteristic fatigue.

The data presented here support this hypothesis and indicate that the sarcolemmal conduction system and some aspects of Ca(2+) transport are negatively influenced in chronic fatigue syndrome.

In fact, both deregulation of pump activities (Na(+)/K(+) and Ca(2+)-ATPase) and alteration in the opening status of ryanodine channels may result from increased membrane fluidity involving sarcoplasmic reticulum membranes.

PMID: 12899875 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]