• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondrial supplements worked great then stopped...why?

Hi I know this is an old post but trying to find out whether acetyl carnitine is better absorbed taken with a meal or on empty stomach? I thought aminos were supposed to be taken without protein but Dr myhill says take carnitine with meal I think. Thank you

Kathevans

I've been ramping up and down with L-Carnitine Fumarate ( I have the Acetyl, but have never tried it) since last November. I have almost always taken it on an empty stomach and I can feel it go into me about fifteen minutes later. I'm not sure the effect would be so marked if I took it with food and have read here, I think, that it is less used by the digestive process when taken without food. Though I could be making that up!

What is absolutely true is that I need it and it is helping me to heal--I have begun to feel my muscles again, I stretch all the time--a sensation that I hadn't even noticed was missing until it made a surprising comeback, and I have those well, embarrassing feelings of sexual arousal that I haven't had since I was a teenager. Not constantly, of course! I think this has something to do with stimulation of progesterone...

From this article on Female infertility: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5785901/

there was this quote: "They have shown that treatment with ALC [Acetyl L-Carnitine] increases serum levels of other reproductive hormones, like estradiol, progesterone,..."

Anyway, oddly, when I don't have enough one of my symptoms is chills, so it certainly has an effect on the HPG axis. And this particular scholarly article indicates that it can have a profound effect on fertility.

ljimbo423

Hi I know this is an old post but trying to find out whether acetyl carnitine is better absorbed taken with a meal or on empty stomach? I thought aminos were supposed to be taken without protein but Dr myhill says take carnitine with meal I think. Thank you

I take acetyl carnitine every day. I don't notice any difference weather I take it with food or on an empty stomach. I think because it is "acetylated" it might be more easily absorbed even with food.

I also take N-acetyl-l-tyrosine with or without food and don't notice any difference in benefits. Where as, regular L-tyrosine is better absorbed on an empty stomach.

EDIT- I looked at the Linus Pauling Institute website, Examine.com and at several studies using acetyl-carnitine. None of them mentioned taking it with or without food. So it seems it doesn't make much of a difference. I hope this helps.:)

Jim

Last edited:

Sundancer

I've been using a mushroom extract to give the mito's a kick, it still works after more then 2 years, without it I would not be able to make myself a meal.

tried ubiquiol but got bloated and sick, so that's out, i think I was feeding the gutbaddies. For that reason i won't try Dribose. But I will try carnitine and have some hope it'll work.

I agree with the bandaid thing, but it's worth loads to me to have a bandaid. So that I can do a little, I live alone so if I wanna eat I have to prepare it, need to bake my own bread too.

adenosylcobalamine helps too, use that since December, legs have become stonger, maybe less OI too.

DGL is another one that soldiered on though for me, used to have some serious constipation issues and infrequency but DGL not only corrected them but fixed the issue permanently so I don't have to take it anymore

now that interests me, what brand do you take and how much? hadn't heard of it but It sounds like it should be on my list of things to try.

overtheedge

@Sundancer
I started out with enzymatic therapy and then tried nature's plus
they both seemed to work fine, although, I started using nature's plus after a year of using enzymatic therapy so it is possible that the issue had already been cured by that point, I just didn't know the effect of the sugar alcohols in enzymatic therapy and wanted to see what DGL alone would do, so most of the second year on DGL I used natures plus

In total I used DGL for two years and stopped using it early 2016 and the constipation has never returned

Here is some more info on some stuff that worked long term to fix things,
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/need-a-gut-education.58541/#post-977733
make sure to check out the link within the post I'm linking to

if you decide to take the Betaine HCL for stomach acid be very careful not to get it too high, it can damage your gut if you take too much, might have happened to me as I was testing it at higher doses such as 8 or 9 tablets with meals right before my CFS came back in 2013 though I was also under a lot of stress at the time so It could be the cause of the CFS. My doctor related a case to me the other day of a patient who came to her from another doctor after she had destroyed her esophageal sphincter from taking a large amount of these tablets for a long time. I only needed 1 tablet of Betaine HCL at each meal to fix me, if it even was the Betaine HCL as I also started digestive enzymes at the same time,and never had any problems or burning at that dose even years later although i no longer take it and am rather certain my stomach acid is just fine now based on burping up strong acid every now and then after meals and my doctors advice that my stomach acid is probably fine as I had no meat fibers in my stool on a CDSA test from genova labs

Sundancer

thanks, I'll read that thread later, have bookmarked it. Too tired now ( its warm over here, too warm for me. But do better then last summer, i remember that I needed to lay down with these temperatures, now I'm just more tired then usual, not that dead feeling in the body)

Sophiedw

Does anybody know which cofactors coQ10 might deplete? specifically those which might cause GI issues and gastroperesis. Horrible episode at the moment brought on by coQ10. Much pain haha. Thanks

Mick

Does anybody know which cofactors coQ10 might deplete? specifically those which might cause GI issues and gastroperesis. Horrible episode at the moment brought on by coQ10. Much pain haha. Thanks

What GI issues? CoQ10 causes diarrhea and possibly other issues but probably not gastroparesis (?).
So it may be a side effect rather than cofactor depletion.

Also bear in mind that if you experience such side effects it may mean exactly that you are CoQ10 deficient.
It was so in my case... but I started wearing diapers and still took my daily dose of CoQ10.
Which had to be quite high (300 - 800 mg daily) to feel any difference (and I really felt the difference) and side effects started at 30 mg.

So actually there was no way around it. No dose escalation after starting from 20 mg, no mixing it with food - nothing worked.

First, you have to answer yourself if CoQ10 is working for you and if it is worth the suffering at the moment.
I'd takie it as fast as possible but it is feasible that you heal your gut somehow and will not experience these side effects. But to heal you need CoQ10 and that's the problem and vicious circle there.