• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mito results

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hey Guys,

I have uploaded my Mito results for everyone to see. I am consulting the OHC but would be really interested to see what other people make of the results and if anything in particular sticks out.

Thanks,

Ben

Attachments

• Ben Howell Acumen results Dec 12 print.jpg
    Ben Howell Acumen results Dec 12 print.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Ben Howell Acumen results Dec 12 print.jpg.jpg
    Ben Howell Acumen results Dec 12 print.jpg.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Ben Howell Acumen results Dec 12 print.jpg.jpg
    Ben Howell Acumen results Dec 12 print.jpg.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 48
You mentioned that you're on a mitochondria package of supplements ... based on these tests, those supplements are probably already covering what's indicated. B vitamins, C, magnesium, carnitine, maybe zinc?

Ben H

Hey V,

So it is as follows.

-D-ribose 5-15g a day. I am on 10g daily now but it seems to do f'all. So much for the wonder suppo_O

-Acetyl L carnitine 2g daily

-CoQ10 200mg Daily

-b12 Spray 5000mcg daily

-Electrolytes (not sure exact makeup) but 2x800mg daily.

-Multivit

-Also Green juicing everyday but this isnt specifically part of the mito package.

No specific magnesium apart from the multi vit and green juicing.

-

Hey V,

So it is as follows.

-D-ribose 5-15g a day. I am on 10g daily now but it seems to do f'all. So much for the wonder suppo_O

-Acetyl L carnitine 2g daily

-CoQ10 200mg Daily

-Electrolytes (not sure exact makeup) but 2x800mg daily.

-Multivit

-Also Green juicing everyday but this isnt specifically part of the mito package.

No specific magnesium apart from the multi vit and green juicing.

-
D-ribose had zero effect for me too :p

Additional magnesium might help ... I use Jarrow's Magnesium Optimizer, but as long as you stay away from magnesium oxide or chelated magnesium, it shouldn't be too hard on your digestive system. A little extra zinc might also help if you tolerate it. Higher doses of the B vitamins (especially active B12, folate, B3, and B6) can help too, though it's important to keep the B6 close to the normal doses since it's fat-soluble and overdose is possible.

Mega-dosing B12 is pretty common. Hydroxycobalamin is pretty good since it can turn into either active B12 depending on what your body needs. Methylcobalamin is preferred by some since it's already active, but it often causes potassium problems that are annoying and difficult to deal with. There's a lot of sublingual B12 options, so that's one thing at least that doesn't have to be impacted by GI problems.

Electrolytes are very good - actually is a common treatment for OI, so you might be avoiding problems that would otherwise occur. If you do test yourself for OI, it might be better to try it when you haven't had an elecrolyte drink recently.

Ben H

Im glad to hear that buddy...and also not for your sake!

I forget I have b12 spray daily....5000mg. I will add that in-thanks.

Interesting about the magnesium-I will look into sourcing some. Its just the G.I. issues that I truly believe are stopping me absorbing a lot, but I do have some 200mg Magnesium about.

Yea the electrolytes are good...but taste like cr*p! Better than my rice protein powder though :eek:

Haha.

Ben

SOC

Interesting about the magnesium-I will look into sourcing some. Its just the G.I. issues that I truly believe are stopping me absorbing a lot, but I do have some 200mg Magnesium about.

Yea the electrolytes are good...but taste like cr*p! Better than my rice protein powder though :eek:

You might also try drinking 3-4 L of electrolyte drink daily instead of taking electrolyte pills. If you feel noticeably better, you might have low blood volume which can cause all sorts of OI problems and make you feel physically and mentally fatigued, as Valentijn mentioned earlier. This one has magnesium and no sugar or artificial sweeteners, which is a plus, and saves you from having to take electrolyte and magnesium pills: http://www.iherb.com/Alacer-ElectroMix-Lemon-Lime-30-Packets-4-2-oz-120-g/17246

If you do feel somewhat better after a week of high fluids, then it might be worth asking your doc about fludrocortisone to increase your blood volume. That could make a huge difference in how you feel.

rlc

Hi Ben, have you had your vitamin D tested? I see you’re from the UK so there is a good chance it is low. Vitamin D deficiency can cause Fatigue, muscle and joint pains, depressed mood, poor concentration and stomach issues.

Although it isn’t really mentioned in the Mayhill literature on Mito, Vitamin D is an essential part of Mito function and ATP.

Vitamin d is essential for the absorption of phosphorus, and without phosphorus you can’t produce functioning ATP. So even if you take all the other supplements D Ribose etc, all you achieve is healthy Mito, but the ATP they produce will still be useless due to lack of Vitamin D leading to a lack of Phosphorus.

The other part of the puzzle is Magnesium, vitamin D and magnesium are kept in balance in the body, so if D is low, magnesium often will be to, often people will take vitamin D and feel worse, this is because taking the vitamin D changes the balance and brings on symptoms of magnesium deficiency.

Treating vitamin D deficiency is easy and quick, but it can often take months of supplements and the right diet to get magnesium levels high enough. Some good info on magnesium and vitamin D here http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-cofactors/magnesium/

I see you haven’t been eating red meat, plus doing a lot of exercise, if you haven’t already get B12, Folate and Iron levels tested, all these things are often low in people who haven’t been eating red meat.

When you had Celiac test done, were you eating gluten containing food for six weeks before the test, if not the test can be a false negative.

Have you had thyroid and glucose tests?

Hope this helps

All the best

Ben H

You might also try drinking 3-4 L of electrolyte drink daily instead of taking electrolyte pills. If you feel noticeably better, you might have low blood volume which can cause all sorts of OI problems and make you feel physically and mentally fatigued, as Valentijn mentioned earlier. This one has magnesium and no sugar or artificial sweeteners, which is a plus, and saves you from having to take electrolyte and magnesium pills: http://www.iherb.com/Alacer-ElectroMix-Lemon-Lime-30-Packets-4-2-oz-120-g/17246

If you do feel somewhat better after a week of high fluids, then it might be worth asking your doc about fludrocortisone to increase your blood volume. That could make a huge difference in how you feel.

Hey SOC.

To be honest electrolytes is one thing I have been a bit inconsistent with. I take 800tmg of powder 2x a day. Will make sure I am more disciplined. I will try and post what that 800mg contains specifically.

At a time recently when i was making improvement, my fluid intake was high from spring water. Not sure if that is coincidence or not.

Ben H

Hi Ben, have you had your vitamin D tested? I see you’re from the UK so there is a good chance it is low. Vitamin D deficiency can cause Fatigue, muscle and joint pains, depressed mood, poor concentration and stomach issues.

Although it isn’t really mentioned in the Mayhill literature on Mito, Vitamin D is an essential part of Mito function and ATP.

Vitamin d is essential for the absorption of phosphorus, and without phosphorus you can’t produce functioning ATP. So even if you take all the other supplements D Ribose etc, all you achieve is healthy Mito, but the ATP they produce will still be useless due to lack of Vitamin D leading to a lack of Phosphorus.

The other part of the puzzle is Magnesium, vitamin D and magnesium are kept in balance in the body, so if D is low, magnesium often will be to, often people will take vitamin D and feel worse, this is because taking the vitamin D changes the balance and brings on symptoms of magnesium deficiency.

Treating vitamin D deficiency is easy and quick, but it can often take months of supplements and the right diet to get magnesium levels high enough. Some good info on magnesium and vitamin D here http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-cofactors/magnesium/

I see you haven’t been eating red meat, plus doing a lot of exercise, if you haven’t already get B12, Folate and Iron levels tested, all these things are often low in people who haven’t been eating red meat.

When you had Celiac test done, were you eating gluten containing food for six weeks before the test, if not the test can be a false negative.

Have you had thyroid and glucose tests?

Hope this helps

All the best

Hey rlc.

Yeah I know-we have sh*T weather ;)

I have had standard bloods done and everything was in the acceptable range. I can post the results of the blood test for interpretation if you wanted. Magnesium to raise wise I am trying to raise levels through juicing and leafy greens.
Again I was 'normal' at time of testing-november 2012.

Celiac I had been eating gluten containing foods...but gluten affects my digestion considerably now so there is something going on-i get my g.i. panel results next tuesday....

rlc

Hi Ben, the magnesium blood test is useless for picking up all but the most severest deficiencies, 99% of magnesium is stored in the cells and only a very small amount is in the blood, the body does everything it can to keep the blood levels normal, by taking magnesium from the cells, so you can get a normal result and still be very deficient.

It might be worth trying a magnesium supplement, another way to get it is Epsom salts baths, the magnesium in the Epsom salts, is absorbed through the skin. It may help with your low ATP magnesium.

Will be interesting to see what your GI tests say, a lot of people don’t have celiac, but are gluten intolerant, which doesn’t show on the test. Only real test is to cut out gluten completely and see what happens.

If you have the time I would be interested in seeing your Vitamin D, B12, Folate, serum, iron, Ferritin, transferin saturation, TSH , T3, T4, and glucose results. A lot of labs use out of date reference ranges for some of these tests, so it is possible something has been overlooked. Have you had C reactive protein and free testosterone done? They are often out if you have over training syndrome see http://optimumsportsperformance.com/blog/?p=1133

It sounds like what has happened is that you have developed athletes overtraining syndrome, see http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html plus overwork and lack of sleep, dieting and then probably been hit with some kind of infection. In which case you need lots of rest, relaxation and sleep, a very good diet (I would include red meat, if you’re not already) and the right supplements. But it is very important to get tested for all possible causes of your symptoms; it might be something completely different that is causing your health issues.

All the best

Ben,

I thought testing of SOD was part of Acumen's mito panel, but I didn't see it on your results. Do you know if they tested that for you?

PhoenixBurger

Can anyone comment on the legitimacy of this Acumen test in the UK with Dr. McLaren? Not opinion based, but fact based? I am extremely extremely interested in getting this testing done, but confused why its not available anywhere else through anyone else. Very reminiscent of the whole "Lyme Disease Doctor" phenomenon (we use our own labs, we reject results from all legit labs like Labcorp, everyone is out to get us, you can only get it through me, you must pay cash, etc etc etc) ....
Valentijn Sushi heapsreal
If this thing is legit, im on the next plane to the UK.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
PhoenixBurger

I don't have personal experience with this test. But Rich seemed to think it was valid.

BTW, you don't need to go to the UK to get it--you can send your blood. You can also test other mito factoss--I've had ATP, NADPH & something I have forgotten tested in the US. All very low.

Sushi

golden

I have seen posts that people were disappointed with the test as it didn't show the severity of their energy problems.

But others where it has reflected their level of disability.

I would also like to see some facts. And understand the differences and similarities between this and Rich methylation panel tests and why Rich has different reference ranges and why he chose those tests instea of the Myhill tests.

Can anyone comment on the legitimacy of this Acumen test in the UK with Dr. McLaren? Not opinion based, but fact based? I am extremely extremely interested in getting this testing done, but confused why its not available anywhere else through anyone else. Very reminiscent of the whole "Lyme Disease Doctor" phenomenon (we use our own labs, we reject results from all legit labs like Labcorp, everyone is out to get us, you can only get it through me, you must pay cash, etc etc etc) ....
Valentijn Sushi heapsreal
If this thing is legit, im on the next plane to the UK.

There's no reason to think it's not legit. My first concern would be that it really doesn't cover much ground compared to other tests you can get for a similar price. My second concern is that it's only looking at a few potential deficiencies, and the rest is basically saying "Okay, you really are fatigued" (which would be great if any doctors in the UK gave a damn about that result).

I think testing aimed at ferreting out potential causes of problems is a lot more useful. For broader testing, that might be organic and/or amino acid urine testing, etc, where you have a list of dozens of substances and conclusions can be tentatively drawn based on their levels relative to each other, such as which vitamins you might need more of to convert Elevated-Substance X into Deficient Substance Y. Very limited, specific testing for those deficiencies would make sense if all ME/CFS patients had the same limited and specific problems, but that is not the case.

For narrower testing (if your symptoms and/or earlier test results are pointing in a certain direction), there are various viral, or HPA, or general immune-related, etc tests, which are mainstream and can be privately ordered.

One example is with organic acids tests - they include measurements of many substances involved in the Kreb's Cycle, where ATP is produced. Some people have poor results for the entire thing, which suggests the problem is at the beginning of the cycle or before. But some have normal results until they get to a certain stage, meaning they have trouble converting one specific substance into another - but they might be able to "recover" somewhat if they supplement the vitamins involved in that conversion to help it out, or find a way to feed more proteins into the Kreb's cycle as an alternative way to boost that deficient stage.

"ATP deficiency" looks good on paper and provides legitimacy, both for the patient and friends/family, but is unlikely to lead to any specific treatment.

Ben H

Hi Ben, the magnesium blood test is useless for picking up all but the most severest deficiencies, 99% of magnesium is stored in the cells and only a very small amount is in the blood, the body does everything it can to keep the blood levels normal, by taking magnesium from the cells, so you can get a normal result and still be very deficient.

It might be worth trying a magnesium supplement, another way to get it is Epsom salts baths, the magnesium in the Epsom salts, is absorbed through the skin. It may help with your low ATP magnesium.

Will be interesting to see what your GI tests say, a lot of people don’t have celiac, but are gluten intolerant, which doesn’t show on the test. Only real test is to cut out gluten completely and see what happens.

If you have the time I would be interested in seeing your Vitamin D, B12, Folate, serum, iron, Ferritin, transferin saturation, TSH , T3, T4, and glucose results. A lot of labs use out of date reference ranges for some of these tests, so it is possible something has been overlooked. Have you had C reactive protein and free testosterone done? They are often out if you have over training syndrome see http://optimumsportsperformance.com/blog/?p=1133

It sounds like what has happened is that you have developed athletes overtraining syndrome, see http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html plus overwork and lack of sleep, dieting and then probably been hit with some kind of infection. In which case you need lots of rest, relaxation and sleep, a very good diet (I would include red meat, if you’re not already) and the right supplements. But it is very important to get tested for all possible causes of your symptoms; it might be something completely different that is causing your health issues.

All the best

Hey rlc.

I am having occasional epsom baths at the moment for the reasons mentioned-havnt seen a difference yet-but to be fair I havnt had a regular schedule with them.

I think you're right with the analysis. Thats exactly what happened in my kind-though I havnt recovered yet hence CFS. I did post my ATP results if you found them.

I have not had my C reactive protein or free testosterone done...however my sex drive has suffered greatly with all of this and I did see that as a sign of low T.

I have posted my G.I. Results here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/g-i-results-panel.22576/

Thanks for being so helpful!

Ben H

Ben,

I thought testing of SOD was part of Acumen's mito panel, but I didn't see it on your results. Do you know if they tested that for you?
Hi TaylorV,

I had the basic test done, along with l-carnitine. So i think SOD was exempt...