• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mirtazapine helps POTS - or so it seems!

SDSue

Southeast
Through an IV via a PICC line. Gradual scaling up from 4 mg and doubling as she went around twice a day. As she's in the hospital they're always monitoring. 3 nights in she reached 28mg and had a hell of a time because they ramp down her pain meds and the Ketamine causes various side effects and the nurses didn't really understand her ME and Fibromyalgia so her medication was dropped too fast. We discharged her after 4 nights of the 7 night stint :( So it can help with getting off pain meds in a normal chronic pain patient but someone with CFS/ME finds the lack of rest in a hospital difficult to bounce back from. The OI thing was an unexpected side effect.. :)
I don't think we can get ketamine as it's highly controlled in Australia.
If you have any more questions feel free to shoot em at us!
Wow, I'm sorry she had a bad experience in the hospital - it's a scary place for most of us. I hope she has settled back home and her pain is under control.

This might be a stupid question, but if she was on an IV round the clock, is it possible that her OI was helped by the boost in blood volume? I'm curious, as it's something my doc has recommended.

zzz

If one reacts badly to injected lidocaine (without epinephrine), I'd guess it would indicate that IV lidocaine might not be so good either?

That's true. If a patient's response to lidocaine was unknown, Dr. Goldstein would use a topical PLO gel containing lidocaine as a profiling drug both to determine the patient's response to lidocaine and to indicate which other drugs would be likely to be helpful, as shown in this chart (mentioned in my previous post). A negative response to the gel would preclude IV lidocaine treatment.

Wow, I'm sorry she had a bad experience in the hospital - it's a scary place for most of us. I hope she has settled back home and her pain is under control.

This might be a stupid question, but if she was on an IV round the clock, is it possible that her OI was helped by the boost in blood volume? I'm curious, as it's something my doc has recommended.
No that's perfectly reasonable. I hadn't thought about that. Another possibility indeed!

godlovesatrier

Whilst digging around in the forum I found a few mirtazapine threads. I've found it useful for sleep but didn't realise the side effects worse off after a few days, I need to try to take it for longer. The drug has a bell curve for elimitation, so 22 to 30 hours for 15mg, but slightly less for 7.5mg something like 16 hours. Just in case anyone was wondering.

But mirtazapine appears in j goldstein's drug chart which zzz posted about on another thread

riZ3lSy.gif

Essentially the process is that the drugs in the middle are used as testers on the patient. Drops are either on the tongue or into the eye, patient responds within seconds or minutes. Blue line indicates drugs to take if patient improves, or if the patient worsens red line indicates drugs to try in that case.

Considering the nicotine experiment in long covid (see nicotine above) and others, it's interesting to see the drugs pop up here. Less like flying around in the dark at least if you can get the profiling drug and try it.

I was interested to hear mirtazapine helps POTS my post covid pots has settled but have now got sudden attack of quite bad brainfog and sleep is very bad + sound sensitivity - so going to try mirtazapine. Mirtazapine is down as Remeron on the chart above top left.

Blazer95

..and we built castles in the Sky.
I recently Had similar expierence coming of Citalopram.

I recently came of LDN (because of sideeffects) and forgot to Take Citalopram because i was brainfogged and Crashed so Bad i barely Made it to the toilet.

I start to Recover slowly and i realized that since that my orthostatic intolerance wich is usually quite mild (never when sitting only when Standing prolonged) got so Bad that i now Sometimes have it even when sitting.

Either its the LDN or the Quitting of Citalopram since i got a Heart Echo and ProBNP Most recently and IT seems to be ok