Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Millions suffer from an invisible disease: My ME/CFS story--Ryan Prior--CNN

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sushi, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque

L'engle, AnnaDove, CJB and 12 others like this.
  2. rel8ted

rel8ted Senior Member

VA
    Was shocked to see that this morning. We are becoming mainstream:thumbsup: so people have heard of us now.

3. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    @Sushi - this is great, thanks for posting!

4. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    It was actually featured in the Iphone news stream--that is a lot of views!

5. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    :thumbsup::star::rocket:

6. used_to_race

used_to_race

Southern California
    I wonder what his treatment protocol is exactly and who his doctor is. Monthly infusion sounds like IVIG perhaps. Seems like he's made major improvements that most people on here can only dream of.

Sushi and Mel9 like this.
  7. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    It's actually showed in Forgotten Plague (his documentary he produced) - the name of his doctor and treatment methods. I know Ryan completed a Reddit Q&A prior to the release of the documentary that explained his treatment plan as well.

I think we're definitely lucky to have his voice in our community and his gift for writing / storytelling - Forgotten Plague is a wonderful platform to educate.

8. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    This is great, I was wondering the same thing about his treatment and name of his doctor, and just found that you can watch it for free with Amazon Prime.

9. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

I went to a screening of Forgotten Plague in Oct 2014 in Hollywood and had the privilege of meeting Ryan Prior who was very impressive and wise beyond his years. If I remember correctly from the movie, his doctor was Charles Lapp (but I am not 100% certain that I am remembering this correctly from four years ago)!

I also cannot remember if he disclosed his treatments in the movie, but even if he did, they are probably different now that four years have gone by. I am also very curious if the infusions that he mentions are IVIG or something else? I think IVIG is one of the most promising treatments out there (for ME/CFS, immune deficiency, and autoimmunity, even when it is not crystal clear what the diagnosis is). If IVIG did not cost it's weight in liquid gold, I believe that more people would have the opportunity to try it but it is unbelievably difficult to get insurance approval. Even though I was able get approval, I am still trying to resolve an ongoing insurance battle over IVIG which at this point may never be resolved.

I know Ryan posted on PR at one time but I cannot figure out what avatar name he used (or else he no longer posts here). I was going to thank him again for making such a great movie and for all of his help to the community.

10. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    Since he shared it in the documentary and on Reddit, I recorded it for reference at one time (to possibly also pursue), so I can share out considering it's public knowledge.

The doctor he credits for his improvement is Dr. Karen Bullington near Atlanta, Georgia from the Holtorf Medical Group - I think it used to be a part of the Fibro and Fatigue Clinics, but it is now part of Holtorf. His testimonial is listed on the website under 'Ryan P' for Dr. Bullington.

On his Reddit Q&A prior to the documentary release, he stated: "I continue to get an IV infusion monthly (with about 14 ingredients: NADH, glutathione, B12, B2, B-Complex, and many more) as well as give myself a shot weekly (glutathione, NADH, hydroxocobalamine, adenosine monophosphate). I still have to take about 15-20 pills daily."

Obviously I don't know for certain if other IV's were used during his treatment process but it appears that he credits these IV's for his improvement.

bctjr1993, used_to_race, Mel9 and 2 others like this.
  11. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

Thx for sharing that @Dakota15. I remember he saw a male doctor in Forgotten Plague (who I thought was Dr. Lapp?) but he definitely did not say he credited him with his recovery or anything like that. Some day I want to watch it again since it was so long ago (and wish he could make a sequel to follow-up on some of the people in it).

12. Riley

Riley Senior Member

Louisiana
    Dr. Lapp was interviewed in Forgotten Plague regarding Ampligen. However, he is not Ryan's physician.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

I apologize for remembering this wrong! Do you know who was the doctor in Forgotten Plague that Ryan saw for routine blood work and I think also for follow-up after he went to the ER with myocarditis? I thought that person was his main doctor and now I can't remember who it was if not Dr. Lapp? It was a male doctor that I was not familiar with (it was not Cheney, Peterson, Montoya, Kogelnik, Kaufman, etc) but I can't think of who it was!

14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Sadly I think this is often a forgotten documentary. Its quite good, from my dim recollection.

Gingergrrl likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.