• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Microbiome, "Leaky Gut," and Autoimmunity: Connected & Treatable

Gemini

The gut bacteria, Enterococcus gallinarum, breaks through the gut wall and drives autoimmune disease in mice and humans that are genetically predisposed to autoimmunity researchers discovered: Science, March 9, 2018:

Antibiotic treatment with vancomycin or ampicillin alleviated pathological immune responses by suppressing growth of E.gallinarum in tissues and eliminating pathogenic autoantibodies and T cells. A vaccine specifically targeting E.gallinarum also appears effective.

Translocation of a gut pathobiont drives autoimmunity in mice and humans.
Manfredo Vieira S1, Hiltensperger M1, Kumar V2, Zegarra-Ruiz D1, Dehner C1, Khan N1, Costa FRC1, Tiniakou E1, Greiling T1, Ruff W1, Barbieri A3, Kriegel C1, Mehta SS4, Knight JR4, Jain D3, Goodman AL5, Kriegel MA6,2.
Author information
1 Department of Immunobiology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA.
2 Department of Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA.
3 Department of Pathology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA.
4 Yale Center for Genome Analysis, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA.
5 Department of Microbial Pathogenesis and Microbial Sciences Institute, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA.
6 Department of Immunobiology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA. martin.kriegel@yale.edu.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=29590047

NIH highlights the discovery:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/gut-microbe-drives-autoimmunity

Hopefully ME/CFS researchers Lipkin, Hanson, Carding, etc will take a look.

neweimear

Could someone email link onto Lipkin and Hanson...I emailed both recently about filgotinib (sp?) so don't want to email again...Lipkin responded that we needed mouse model of ME.... I received no response from Maureen.

Gemini

Could someone email link onto Lipkin and Hanson...I emailed both recently about filgotinib (sp?) so don't want to email again...Lipkin responded that we needed mouse model of ME.... I received no response from Maureen.
@neweimear, if you give me their e-mail addresses I'll do it.

Yale researchers used a mouse model, performed lymph node/liver biopsies then verified the results in humans.

Autoimmune genetic predisposition findings in Lupus were used: major histocompatibility complex locus and several genetic risk loci for excessive signaling of RNA-sensing Toll-like receptor 7 (TLR7) and type I interferons.

Be interesting to see what Dr. Montoya's "positive" genetic results are, to be published soon, hopefully.

They also mention testing neomycin which was less effective.

Pretty amazing microbiome research!

Gemini

An ME/CFS mouse model is needed? Derya Unutmaz might be the go to researcher:

JAX Mice are the most published and well-characterized mouse models in the world...
www.jax.org/jax-mice-and-services

Unutmaz is studying the microbiome in his ME/CFS Jackson Laboratory Center...

Topological Mapping of Immune, Metabolomic and Clinical Phenotypes to Reveal ME/CFS Disease Mechanisms
Principal Investigator: Derya Unutmaz, M.D., The Jackson Laboratory, Farmington, Connecticut; 1U54NS105539-01 Dr. Unutmaz and his group will use novel tools to take a detailed look at how the immune system, the microbiome (our body’s complete collection of microbes including bacteria and viruses) and metabolism (the chemical reactions that produce energy for the body) interact in ME/CFS. A greater understanding of those interactions may help researchers identify causes of the disease and lead to the development of therapies.

Gemini

Could someone email link onto Lipkin and Hanson...I emailed both recently about filgotinib (sp?) so don't want to email again...
@neweimear, sent the links to Lipkin and Hanson. Thanks again for their e-mail addresses.

Asked whether their research centers could screen patients for a genetic predisposition for autoimmunity, test for antibodies to E.Gallinarum, and trial vancomycin and ampicillin in those testing positive.