• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mg2+ Regulates Cytotoxic Functions of NK and CD8 T Cells in Chronic EBV Infection

Waverunner

Magnesium seems to have very nice antiviral properties in specific patients.

Science 12 July 2013:
Vol. 341 no. 6142 pp. 186-191
DOI: 10.1126/science.1240094

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/3...um=&utm_campaign=science&utm_source=shortener

The magnesium transporter 1 (MAGT1) is a critical regulator of basal intracellular free magnesium (Mg2+) concentrations. Individuals with genetic deficiencies in MAGT1 have high levels of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and a predisposition to lymphoma. We show that decreased intracellular free Mg2+ causes defective expression of the natural killer activating receptor NKG2D in natural killer (NK) and CD8+ T cells and impairs cytolytic responses against EBV. Notably, magnesium supplementation in MAGT1-deficient patients restores intracellular free Mg2+ and NKG2D while concurrently reducing EBV-infected cells in vivo, demonstrating a link between NKG2D cytolytic activity and EBV antiviral immunity in humans. Moreover, these findings reveal a specific molecular function of free basal intracellular Mg2+ in eukaryotic cells.

SOC

Well that might explain my family's high incidence of Hodgkin's lymphoma and ME/CFS. We've long suspected some common genetic abnormality in our ability to handle Epstein-Barr (and other herpesviruses).

Waverunner

Well that might explain my family's high incidence of Hodgkin's lymphoma and ME/CFS. We've long suspected some common genetic abnormality in our ability to handle Epstein-Barr (and other herpesviruses).

Yeah, could have to do with EBV. It's a pitty, that doctors don't look more into this and start to prevent cancer, instead of managing cancer after it occured.