• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mg2+ regulates cytotoxic functions of NK and CD8 T cells in chronic EBV infection through NKG2D

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I think this is the study Judy Mikovits is referring to where magnesium threonate increases nk function??
Eitherway its interesting.

Abstract
The magnesium transporter 1 (MAGT1) is a critical regulator of basal intracellular free Mg2+ levels. Individuals with genetic deficiencies in MAGT1 have high levels of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and a predisposition to lymphoma. We show that decreased intracellular free Mg2+ causes defective expression of the natural killer activating receptor NKG2D in natural killer (NK) and CD8+ T cells and impairs cytolytic responses against EBV. Remarkably, magnesium supplementation in MAGT1-deficient patients restores intracellular free Mg2+ and NKG2D while concurrently reducing EBV-infected cells in vivo, demonstrating a link between NKG2D cytolytic activity and EBV antiviral immunity in humans. Moreover, these findings reveal a specific molecular function of free basal intracellular Mg2+ in eukaryotic cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3894782/

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I wonder if the testing for the genetic defect for Mg metabolism is available to patients oe only if in research study.

It would be good to have tests to help us choose the supplements we need.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
It boggles my mind that people still pay attention to this woman.

Here's what Jonathan Edwards had to say about a video that she recently posted online...

I was really very surprised by this video. Dr Mikovits seems to indicate that she does not understand many of the most basic facts about B cells and rituximab.

She makes mistakes in almost every sentence. She gets the B cell markers (CD20, CD19, CD23) wrong and gets confused about B cell life history. She makes no comment when the physician claims that there is an oral rituximab, yet she should know that there is no oral form because rituximab is a large protein that is cleaved by pepsin and other gut enzymes. These are things that students know.

She appears to be making things up as she goes along when it comes to explaining mechanisms. Autoimmunity is mediated by autoantibodies and CD20+ B cells do not secrete antibodies, which in fact she admits but then says they cause autoimmunity! CD20+ cells are not expanded in ME/CFS. We have no evidence that there is abnormal cytokine production by B cells in autoimmunity. She makes inappropriate references to cancer. She gets the Fluge and Mella results wrong.

When she comes to giving advice, on misconceived grounds (‘Those are the 30% that should get rituxan but they should only get it at low dose.’) I think things are quite worrying. Someone with as little understanding of a medical field as this should not be giving advice to a clinician and making it public on video. I would hope that physicians will realize the advice has no basis.

I had a look and can't see it reported in 23and me. Could be wrong though.
Three SNPs are tested. 31 ME patients and 31 controls I have data for all have the same version of two of the SNPs, and the pretty much same amount of each genotype for the third SNP in each group.

So no indication of anything interesting there, though there's a ton of SNPs on the gene which 23andMe isn't testing.