• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mg through the skin - best methods?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm taking Mg as part of Freddd's b12 protocol and have been getting symptoms of b12 deficiency (sore muscles, extra fatigue and longer recovery time) when moving on to new stages.

When this first happened, I had stopped taking Mg because tablets gave me diarrhoea so I started taking Mg in the form of an oil spray (2x 180mg/day). This did the trick.

However, I have recently started getting sore muscles etc. again so I upped the dose, with no effect. Last night I took an Epsom salts (150g) bath with no immediate relief and afterward sprayed on 180mg of Mg in oil. For the first time, the oil made my skin sting slightly. According to the packet (and other sources I've seen on the net) this is a sign of Mg deficiency and stops when you are no longer deficient.

I hadn't had the stinging before and wondered if it was because the hot bath had opened my pores and I was absorbing the oil better.

I don't usually seem to absorb the oil well - it seems to sit on my skin and even after 20 minutes my skin is still sticky. I'm wondering:

1. Is 2x 180mg a day a low dose?

2. Is there a better deliver method through the skin? I've seen you can get Mg gel, that people dissolve Epsom salts into cream and rub it in, and so on. I'd like to hear how people are getting on with this and how much Epsom salts would be the equivalent of what I'm using now.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Advice on the use of Mg oil

I thought this was an interesting article about how to get Mg oil to absorb better. It's by Shelby Conques who is described as "a freelance writer and expert in nutrition and health" but no credentials are given. Safetywise, I'm particularly interested in whether your body does actually excrete excess Mg if you're taking it in transdermally.

Here are some highlights from the article:

The best way to apply magnesium is by spraying it directly on the skin, preferably in places where skin is thinner, such as the wrists, ankles, and underarms. After about twenty minutes, it is safe to wash off the residue with a wet washcloth. If you have some time to spare, it is also advisable to completely strip down and coat your entire body with a liberal amount of magnesium oil. This needs to be done when you have about thirty minutes before you need to shower. Simply rub the topical magnesium over your entire body, except, of course, sensitive areas. Then have thirty minutes of "me time." Watch TV, read a book, or spread some towels on the couch and rest. After the allotted time, take a warm rinse in the shower, using no soap, to wash off the residue.

Another great way to absorb magnesium is to add six to eight ounces of the oil to your bath for a relaxing soak. Adding up to 32 ounces, however, is still fine, due to the amount of dilation.

For some additional pampering in your life, add six to eight ounces of magnesium oil to a foot soak. One tip to remember, though: Keep the water heated. Warmer water will bring more circulation to the feet and keep your pores open, enhancing absorption.

Stinging
Magnesium oil sprayed directly on the skin has been known to sting a bit. The stinging will probably subside after a few doses, but has been known to be quite uncomfortable. This has usually been noted in cases when a person is magnesium-deficient; the sting may subside as your body reaches a point in which the magnesium level is adequate. If it is too uncomfortable at first, though, you may consider diluting the magnesium with water. Remember that this will mean you are getting less magnesium per spray. Another option would be to consider a soak in the tub or a foot soak. Keep in mind through this how good magnesium is for you!

[...]

Usage
For the first two to four months, one to two ounces per day applied directly to the body is ideal. The reason you need so much in the beginning is that your body is most likely magnesium deficient. You must first build a store of magnesium in the body before you can cut back and use magnesium oil as maintenance. Many factors affect magnesium levels, so personal usage amounts should vary according to your personal needs.

Magnesium may certainly be used more than once daily. It is almost impossible to have excess magnesium, as your body will excrete what it doesn't need.

maddietod

Which form of magnesium were the tablets you tried? I wonder if we have individual tolerances for the different kinds.

Madie

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Madie - I tried Mg citrate first, and then moved onto Mg malate which is supposed to be the easiest on the digestive system but still had problems.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Another great way to absorb magnesium is to add six to eight ounces of the oil to your bath for a relaxing soak. Adding up to 32 ounces, however, is still fine, due to the amount of dilation. [...]

For some additional pampering in your life, add six to eight ounces of magnesium oil to a foot soak. One tip to remember, though: Keep the water heated. Warmer water will bring more circulation to the feet and keep your pores open, enhancing absorption. [...]

For the first two to four months, one to two ounces per day applied directly to the body is ideal. [/indent]

I've just looked up a conversion of fluid ounces to ml and there are about 3 fl oz in a 100ml bottle of Mg oil costing about 13 so this would be shockingly expensive - the "additional pampering footsoak" she refers to would cost about 25! That 32 oz bath would be over 130. I wonder if she's talking about the same stuff!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Which form of magnesium were the tablets you tried? I wonder if we have individual tolerances for the different kinds.

Madie

On another thread, someone suggested Mg glycinate. There's an interesting article on the Ancient Minerals website (they make the Mg oil) about the different kinds of supplements and Mg glycinate is in a different biological category from the citrate and malate that I tried. I think it might be worth a go. Here's the link to the article.