• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylfolate blocked by iron?

hello,
does anybody know why taking iron the same time as metafolin would block the metafolin being absorbed?

Also there isn't a lot of mention of iron being supplemented, I recently found that iron was a missing piece of my puzzle, is this unusual? I always take my metafolin when I get up in the morning with potassium glucbate, recently started taking iron at the same time, and started to feel the black hole engulfing me, kept trying adding all sorts to no avail, wasn't until I took the two separately that the blackness lifeted.

I take the metafolin as usual, then walk my dogs, and have the iron after, oh I feel so much better, for now anyway.

Wondered if anybody had encountered this also

Last edited by a moderator:

SJB944

No, but that is really interesting. There is some general consensus that taking methylfolate with potassium in vitamin C can diminish it's absorption. Now, I'll keep an eye on iron as well. Thanks.