• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylene blue? any good for brain fog

Has anyone tried methylene blue, to treat brain fog? I am thinking about trying out methylene blue but I am not sure about the dosage and its safety e.g. is it safe to take aquarium tank cleaning products or does it have to be a specific brand?

"Methylene blue improves brain oxidative metabolism and memory retention in rats"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14724055

alex3619

Ethylene blue is a treatment for cyanide poisoning, iirc. I do not know if its safe to use on humans at even small doses, particularly long term. This would be a radical experiment, with unknown safety implications. I suspect it would not be very beneficial, though I could be wrong, and might have a dangerous risk profile.

Ethylene blue is a treatment for cyanide poisoning, iirc. I do not know if its safe to use on humans at even small doses, particularly long term. This would be a radical experiment, with unknown safety implications. I suspect it would not be very beneficial, though I could be wrong, and might have a dangerous risk profile.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually got the information about MB from the following thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/is-brain-fog-more-than-mental-dysfunction.12461/

It was really great for brain-fog. It's like the brain fog just disappeared after starting to take this stuff. I have/had other cognitive issues, those have also been helped somewhat by this stuff. One potential downside is that you may get a headache or brainfog if you stop taking this stuff for a couple of days. You will also get negative effects if you take too large a dose for you.

It's a dye to stain tissue and it's an old anti-malarial drug. Mostly it's available as a liquid and you dilute it down to the appropriate concentration and then take it.

There's a lot of discussion on this thread and other threads on the same forum: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/23947-methylene-blue/

It delays cellular senescence and is mito-protective against oxidative stress and cadmium. At higher doses it's a MAO-I and at even higher doses it's an anti-malarial.

So you would want to keep the dose lowish in the "nootropic" range.

It seems the sicker someone is, the lower the dose they tolerate. So maybe start with 1mcg per dose and work your way up to a dose which helps. If you go too high it will cause a bit of brain fog, so you will know what a good dose is. The reason is that MB actually reduces efficiency of mitochondria, so if you have few working mitochondria, then a larger dose may worsen things.

The half-life is something like 5 hrs, so you have to dose multiple times a day. I use 750mcg x5/day, but i've been taking it for a while.

It seems some people are using MB with good results but I cannot find studies carried out on humans. Brain fog and mental stamina are my worst symptoms so I am tempted to try this.

I usually like to have a basic understanding of what I am taking and how it functions/works. But the funny thing is brain fog makes it very difficult for me to understand these things.

Sing

Wikipedia has a long article on Methylene Blue. There is lots of information on it on various sites. It has been useful for a number of conditions, it seems, and seems pretty benign. A big exception, however, is when combined with SSRIs. The combination can cause Serotonin Syndrome.

I have just been looking into it, coincidentally, because I read that it stopped the hypotension from excess NO, nitric oxide, in an experiment with rats. I have been having a worse problem with hypotension lately, brought on either by NAC Sustain 600 mg which I took to enable me to sleep, for nearly a month, and by a bad respiratory infection. Apparently the immune system generates more NO, nitric oxide, to deal with infection, but the immune system can also cut off the excess NO too at a certain point. Pretty interesting to read about this.

Sing

Arise, I am glad you started this thread as Methylene Blue might offer us an interesting potential remedy, but we need to learn more about it. I hope others will chime in.

Rand56

Here's a decent thread on methylene blue and dosing......

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/methylene-blue.html#DILUTING

Basically you're looking for a diluted 0.1% solution and just doing drops of this diluted solution with water.

You can easily find methylene blue either online or in pet supply stores that also sell fish and it's very cheap.

I tried MB myself quite sometime ago. I bought a 2.303% solution at a pet store. Doing the math on this you would dilute 1 part of the MB with 23 parts water.

I didn't really notice much at all from doing it. Maybe it was beneficial but I didn't notice any change. Don't let me be the judge though, I'm a non-responder to a lot of different stuff.

Rand