• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation, Vitamin D intolerance-- biochemical interactions?

Santino

Hello,

I have a horrible problem after taking 600.000 IU of Vitamin D in 2 days. I took 300.000 IU on Thursday afternoon. I have rapid cycling bipolar II and in the evening on that day I got little euphoric but nothin bad. It is even enjoyable but As bipolar one wants to avoid swings and it was just unusual and I think it was a effect of d3.

Next day I took 300.000IU with breakfast.

During lunch I noticed secere hyperexcitability (irritability, anxiety). Suddebly in the afternoon it was like my brain crashed. I got heavy brain fog abd agitation. Since then I have constantly the heaviest brain fog ever. It is so severe that I am suicidal at this moment. I have my family around me but I need to know what to do bow.

I cycle in and out depression and in and out agitation. It must be due to the Vitamin d3, although I have no idea how themat could be because I just found positive info about D.

What can I do to stop agitation, depression and the brain fog which came from vit d? Please help me out...:-/

Crux

Hi @Santino ;

The only thing I've ever read about to treat vitamin D overdose is Corticosteroids. A high dose of hydrocortisone can also give side effects, so please be careful about that. ( check potassium levels,HC lowers potassium)

Please go to a doctor to treat vitamin D overdose. My thoughts are with you.

Santino

Thank you all. But I have to say, that I have no Vitamin D toxicity.

If you give someone 600.000IU, this will raise the level by 60ng/ml (+/-30). So in worst case my level is now about 100ng/ml but more likely 85ng/ml.

So it is not toxicity but I guess that this is an adverse reaction to the Vitamin D3 itself. I know this reaction (heavy brain fog) because I have the same reaction to many things, for example LDN, Magnesium peroxide, Inulin, CBD-oil.

I am very sensitive. And this is the reason this was one of the most stupid things I have ever done. Because now I am sitting here with this brain fog and severe depression and it does not go over.

It feels like my brain is inflamed. As if I have pain/pressure behind my frontal sinuses and my frontal head.

I don´t know what I should do...It is horrible. Every night I lie awake in my bed since I took the second dose of Vitamin D.

Please god, help me out of that horrible trip, it is life threatening...

Santino

ER?

The doctor don´t know anything about what I have. I am doing to doctors since 4 years now.

If I go to a doctor, they would think I have a depression and prescribe AD...

Santino

No I cannot tolerate vitamin A...

I am really nearly dead. I have severe brain fog. I wake up midden in the night everynight and have severe brain fog and agitation. In the morning I wake up with depression and brain fog.

I hate my life and I have no hope but I can´t kill myself. I just cannot do it. I love life too much. I want to fight, but I cannot do anything about my situation... I want my life back...

My symptoms seem not be D toxicity. They are the same symptoms I had from LDN for example. I had to stop LDN to get rid of them...But I cannot stop the D because it was just the loading dose and my D level should be high now...

Avalon

@Santino Vitamin D3 can be sedating for some individuals, but it does help with sleep.
The dose you are on is huge and way too much, my suggestion would be cut the dose down to 6000IU a day, perhaps even to start at 2000iu building up to max of 6000iu over 4 weeks then hold, take early morning at around 7.00 to 8.00 am. Late afternoon early evening to take magnesium topical spray, say 2 spays after your evening meal and 3 sprays just before bed, this will help with sleep and also aid in vitamin d3 utilization by the body.

Santino

@Avalon :

That was a loading dose. This loading dose increases your serum 25D by about 60ng/ml (+/- 30).

I don´t need to take Vitamin D anymore because my levels are maybe even to high (not toxic levels but very high normal). It was my mistake because I wanted to increase it by 15ng/ml and should have taken 300.000 IU. But I did not remember the details right.

But even then it would have been stupid. I should have taken just one capsule and wait how I reacted. But it was typical for me that I wanted to fix it immediately. SO stupid....

The brain fog does not go away. It fluctuates. Most of the day I am very depressive and still often I wake at night with agitation and heavy brain fog. So it is a very bad situation.

This morning I noticed that I even kind of got used to it like I did last summer. If you stop feeling good for days (and you know this state from earlier in life) you again get used to it. But then, when lying in bed, I remembered me laughing and having fun just about 2 weeks ago. And then I just get frustrated about the situation now.

I know that this will make everything worse, but it is how it is. The sun is shining and everybody is happy and I am in way depressed and foggy that has just physiological causes which I cannot find out or treat.

I am pretty sure that my symptoms are not due to too high Vitamin, what is called Vitamin D toxicity. But my symptoms are now caused because the high Vitamin D levels shifted something in my immune system like LDN did and like CBD oil did. They all give me this brain fog with the feeling as if my frontal sinuses are tight. This get´s really bad when I go outside and there is cold wind cooling my frontal head. As long as I am in the cold wind I evel feel better like the cool find is cooling it down. But when I then come back into warm place it get´s really really severe.

But in normal times, when I do not take anything like LDN etc. I could mostly go outside in cold air without getting the tight sinuses and brain fog. So it must also be related to the shift those things give my immune system.

The problem now is, that I can´t get rid of the vitamin D. In 6 months the half of it is gone and the summer is just beginning...

I had the same symptoms last year WITHOUT taking any medication. The symptoms started in spring and they came and went away until they seemed to get chronic in Juli or August. They did not go away until November.

Maybe they went away because of my Vitamin D levels were falling again. Maybe they went away because I have an allergy to something flowing outside in the summer which is not there in the winter. But I have to say that I also had brain fog like this one time in Januar when I jogged in the park and it was very cold outside.

Also it came again in march this year 5 days after taking LDN and it stopped again within 3 days after stopping LDN.

Then I was symptomfree for 3 weeks until I took the high dose Vitamin D.

Critterina

Magnesium is often required when one is taking vitamin D. K is prevalent in food. I had a bad reaction (headache) to my Vitamin D supplement. Turns out it was just that one supplement. I'm fine with sunshine and I'm fine with a different brand.

I just read somewhere.. maybe Chris Kresser? that more and more studies are showing that there are a lot of misconceptions regarding K, while Vitamin K1 is prevalent in leafy greens it has a very low absorption rate as compared to K2 but that K2 is more difficult to consume as most of the foods we eat do not contain it. It might be worth looking into. I don't tolerate B vitamins, Magnesium, or Vitamin D supplements. I just ordered some nattokinase supplements to see if this could play a part in my puzzle so we will see.