• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation to promote weight loss?

gu3vara

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to help my wife lose weight. She's 30 and she has to be extremely careful to maintain her weight. She's not overweight and she feels good overall but she has to work out 3 to 4 times a week and eat very clean otherwise she will gain. She noticed some acne since she's working out more.

She has a resting heart rate of 40 to 50, her blood pressure can be as low as 90/50, but she's more often 110/70.

Everything comes back normal on the labs, no thyroid issues or anything else according to doctors.

I wonder if boosting methylation could speed up her metabolism somewhat. She had some benefits taking colostrum but we are concerned about long term use and ubiquinol didn't seem to help too.

Any rational for giving methylfolate and b12 to someone healthy in this case? Any other tips?

Thx!

Freddd

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to help my wife lose weight. She's 30 and she has to be extremely careful to maintain her weight. She's not overweight and she feels good overall but she has to work out 3 to 4 times a week and eat very clean otherwise she will gain. She noticed some acne since she's working out more.

She has a resting heart rate of 40 to 50, her blood pressure can be as low as 90/50, but she's more often 110/70.

Everything comes back normal on the labs, no thyroid issues or anything else according to doctors.

I wonder if boosting methylation could speed up her metabolism somewhat. She had some benefits taking colostrum but we are concerned about long term use and ubiquinol didn't seem to help too.

Any rational for giving methylfolate and b12 to someone healthy in this case? Any other tips?

Thx!

Hi Gu3vara,

I also have to be very careful about how much I eat. Today I went to the supermarket and saw some 2 liter coke for 99 cents and thought how good that would taste. I was thirsty at the time. I only have soft drinks a couple of times a year. I actually felt guilty about it.

"Healthy" is imprecise. Not a single test will show when active mb12/adb12 and methylfolate would be benefical and effective. They only show when the system is already VERY BROKEN and in faliure mode. Go to the symptoms post on the BASICS http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?11522-Active-B12-Protocol-Basics and compare ALL her symptoms to those, especially the symptoms she has that the docs say "NON-SPECIFIC AND DON'T MATTER".

Early on, trying to get a better handle on what was going on for me with the early stages of the mb12 and all the frightful stories people were telling me about all the awful things that must be going on, I did a survey of about 1000 people for all their symptoms and then they tried, mostly, a single tablet of mb12, 1mg and 5mg of Jarrow and Enzymtatic Therapies with some adb12 tried later along with a combination of both. The 5 star brands were already established by that point. I was forced to do that the 2nd month. What I found was this. Anybody who genuinely had no symptoms had no immediate effect. However, some people did not realize how fatigued they were until trying the mb12 and hasd the fatigue lift in an hour or two. ALso, many who claimed that they had no symptoms revised that to "only nonspecific symptoms that the doctor said didn't matter" that they had forgotten about until the mb12 relieved them. In all 85% who had symptoms, remembered or not, had a response within 2 hours. Others who were still avaiable at a later time had a response when Metafolin was tried later with mb12. Some also had slower response, mostly neurological, at a later time.

Somewhere between no symptoms and something "very broken" people have plenty of reponsive symptoms and can prevent things from getting worse. This breakdown proceeds over decades. I wish mine had been corrected 50 years sooner than it was.

So in answer to your question, IF she has less than an opitmal amount of adb12 and l-carnitine fumarate perhaps her metabolism will pick up some. However, this needs to be used in the context of mb12, Metafolin and other cofactors that are all needed for these to function properly. If they have an effect for her she will know soon enough. Of course it can affect mood and many other things and not affect metabolism. Also her aerobic capabilty may pick up a lot.

Calathea

Has she tried classic calorie restriction, and if so, is she sure that she's tried it correctly and consistently? Many people struggle with dieting and give up, or alternatively follow a diet plan which doesn't work because the calorie level is too high (e.g. though inappropriate planning or underestimating portion sizes).

gu3vara

Thanks to you both, I might convince her to try the active protocol as a trial. Not sure she's disciplined enough with supplements to take many of them. It's easier to get motivated when you are really sick to begin.

Yes she did calorie restriction diet, with training, and it worked but she could never reached her goal, seems like she hit a plateau at some point. She has a hard time to maintain her weight by only eating clean afterward, but she could probably maintain it with calorie counting, but that's hard to keep this habit.

The slow heart rate and low blood pressure bothered me a bit, it looks like her metabolism isn't running like it should.

A pulse of 40-50 is pretty low unless you're a hardcore athlete. Has she had her thyroid checked? Not just TSH, but Free T4, Free T3, and antibodies. A low pulse in a non-athlete is a sign of hypothyroidism (as is difficulty losing weight).

gu3vara

Yes that's what I think too lolasana, she'll see the doctor to make sure her thyroid is ok next month. I'll make sure to test free t3 and t4.

Since she is training, her pulse is sometimes as low as 35...!

Rosebud Dairy

When I was taking methylfolate alone, I gained 5-7 pounds -- This could be edema, but I am not sure, as I was not restricting any foods and I was doing that during the holiday season. I have been able to maintain my weight at pre-baby weight, though not at pre-baby body fat percentages. As my exercise tolerance is increasing, I expect I should be able to start building muscle again soon.

Calathea

Dieting is hard work, unfortunately. Plateaus happen to almost everyone, they're normal, but they're not fun to work through in terms of motivation. What most people find is the hardest isn't the dieting, but the maintenance afterwards. Does it help for her to know that it's normal for her to be having these difficulties, that everyone else gets them too, and that this is what successful weight loss involves?

No idea about the low heart rate, however. That definitely sounds worth checking out.

Pea

Hi,
Thx!

Guvara, get a copy of her labs. Years ago they changed the range for TSH, but some doctors and labs are still using the old range. Even if she is in the lab range, it still may not be optimal for her.

My mom was always saying she was so tired and she couldn't lose weight - I was around her a lot and she didn't eat that-that much. After she passed, I got her medical records and her TSH was always elevated, yet her dr. always told her "it was fine" GRRRR

Your wife could also go to a fitness center and get her actual metabolism checked.

And I don't care what people say - everybody's body is different and I don't believe it's always just the calories. Need to find what works for her. After my thyroid died and I gained 15 lbs. in 3 weeks! I tried Weight Watchers twice, stuck to it to a T, and could only lose 1/4 lb. a week, sometimes gaining. (you are rewarded for eating crappy carbs). And I did not feel good on it.

I switched to the "simply filling" where you can eat unlimited fruits, veggies, lean meats, and some good grains, and lost 1 lb. a week. I need fats & protein or I don't feel good. I didn't even count olive oil whatsoever.

Keep us posted.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Guvara, her TSH should be <= 1.9 or it is TOO HIGH (meaning she is hypothyroid). The lab range is worthless. See www.lef.org for more info. Search for 'thyroid lab range' at that site. There are studies that show if your TSH >1.9 then when thyroid hormone is given cholesterol normalizes (implying that the thyroid produced was not enough). Also, the thyroid needs enough tyrosine and iron to make thyroxin. I am often low on one or other of these so consider if they need supplementing. Her ferritin should be 70, but you will often find women's ferritin is much lower. If she is dieting, she typically will get low in tyrosine or phosphates which the thyroid needs. I take these two substances while dieting and they totally cut appetite (it is the tyrosine that does it). Tyrosine is also a happy pill since it makes dopamine, the happy neurotransmitter.

http://www.iherb.com/Absolute-Nutrition-Thyroid-T-3-Original-Formula-180-Capsules/27664
http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Coleus-Forskohlii-60-Veggie-Caps/18578

The first one has tyrosine, phosphates, and guggul (which lowers insulin to prevent low blood sugar attacks). The second has a patented product forslean from coleus which helps thyroid hormone get into the cells. These really help me stick to my diet. Long term that will work. idk how to lose weight fast as I, myself, and having problems with water retention.

Trif