• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation supplements over stimulated. Please help!

Hello all:

I know this question has been asked here before but I'm looking for some help.

I am MTHFR compound heterozygous have several MTR/MTRR mutations and no COMT mutations. I am also MAOa +.

I deal with some fatigue and problems like tingling etc. But my biggest problems are anxiety, depression, memory and brain fog problems. Almost like my brain is too slow to process what is going on around me.

In the past I have done a lot of detoxing with ozone, saunas and have a very good diet.

Over the past few years I have tried phosphatidylcholine and acetyl-l-carnatine. Both made me very stimulated and gave me quite a bit of anxiety. I obviously stopped both. I repeated this again and had the same reaction.

I also tried taking Inositol, taurine and l theanine to help with my moods and anxiety and had a similar reaction. Increased anxiety, agitation and overstimulation.

I am on thyroid t3/t4 and low dose cortef. I've been tested for metals and don't have any significant levels also don't have any fillings. I'm 27 by the way.

So finally here we go.....

Last Friday I worked up the nerve to start taking Methylb12 (I have low b12 levels by the way) and Methylfolate. I started with 500mcg b12 and 400mcg mfolate.
-Saturday I felt okay and upped my dose to 1mg b12 and 800mcg mfolate.
-Sunday I felt quite good, had quite a bit of energy and a lot of motivation at work, I was just go, go, go.
-Monday started feeling slightly depressed, took 1.5 mgb12 and 1200mcg mfolate.
-Tuesday very depressed, very badly. At supper I took 2 mg b12 and 1600mcg mfolate. Within 20 mins, my depression had lifted and I felt very calm and nice.
-Wednesday mood was good felt a little edgy and was feeling some strong emotions and got quite nostalgic and felt some regret. Stayed at the same dosages as Tuesday.
-Thursday woke up felt quite anxious. Got to work at noon and was very anxious... totally on the edge... by about 2:30/3:00 I calmed down and was pretty much fine. I felt good for most of the day but I was really motivated all day, had tones of energy... felt overstimulated almost like I was on drugs and felt this way until I went to bed at 4 in the morning. (I was out with friends late) Felt very confident, very good, almost euphoric like. *Didn't take a dose of mfolate or b12 was kinda scared off of it.

What in the world is going on???

My potassium is good I've been on top of that.
-I have no COMT can this still be overmethylation???
-Is it possible that my brain is so deficient in neurotransmitters that since they've come up with the supplements my brain just got overloaded. (almost like starting an anti-depressant perhaps?)
Could that explain why I've had reactions to the other supplements I've tried that supposedly affect neurotransmitter levels?
-I'm determined to get this figured out.

any suggestions????

ahmo

It's not uncommon to feel euphoric after raising Mfolate dose. You seem to be increasing your doses pretty quickly. I can't answer the question re stimulating neurotransmitters. I'm not totally clear whether you're fine w/ what's going on, or there's a problem. You might look through the Guide linked in my signature and see if something there answers your questions. cheers, ahmo

xchocoholic

Seems like your body is over reacting to multiple supplements. Supplements can contain toxins and/or you may be intolerant to some so called benign ingredient in these. I'd stop trying to take these and stick with organic foods and juicing.

And I'd look at your other meds too. Many people who switch from the standard american diet aka total garbage no longer need all or some of the meds we were taking before because our bodies begin to heal. Of course you'll need to decide this based on your labs and symptoms. Your doctor may or may not know this tho.

You didn't say what your diet was. Integrative or functional doctors are recommending the elimination diet or Paleo or at the very least a gluten free dairy free diet. The info is on the web.

Tc .. x

liverock

Your main problem looks like the MTRR/MTR mutations, which causes wasting of B12 throughout the whole methylation cycle. You dont say whether they are hetero or homo, so I assume they are hetero. The symptoms your experiencing sounds like 'folate methyl trapping' which happens when there is insufficient methyl B12. With this problem you can also have lower dopamine which could contribute to your symptoms.
For a full explanation of the MTRR/MTR B12 problem go to;

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Outcomes-Non-CV-Autism-Methyl Cycle.htm

Study the MTRR section first and the diagram and then the MTR section and diagram.

The bottom line is you will have to take higher B12 sublinguals to overcome the problem (Heartfixer reckons up to 3X5mg per day). Taking TMG 500mg to start with will enable the BHMT 'backdoor pathway' for homocysteine to methionine and help ease the B12 problem.

RichVanK used to use a 4:1 ratio of B12 to methylfolate in his protocol to get round the MTR/MTRR problem.

This problem causes higher homocysteine levels which could also affect your thyroid and could be the cause of your thyroid problem. Once you start getting a better conversion of homocysteine to methionine you need to watch for increased thyroid activity and adjust any thyroid medication.

Critterina

I would say: be sure to space out your mB12 during the day - more smaller doses. Also, pick a dosage and stick with it several days before changing. Lots of other good advice above that I don't need to repeat.