• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation results

TheChosenOne

Hi

I've just received my genetic profile. These are the methylation and detox results.

Methylation_Profile.png

Detox_Profile.png
Can someone please elaborate?

PeterPositive

Hi,
from a methylation standpoint the MTHFR hetero mutation may or may not require some extra help from methylfolate and the MTR/MTRR suggest you could use some extra B12.

This is only suggestive though, and you should pair the genetic information with functional tests and your history of symptoms.

Have you ever tested your serum homocysteine? or MMA?
Maybe a methylation panel?

High homocysteine usually indicates undermethylation and need for extra B12 and/or folate. MMA will indicate the need for extra B12.

The methylation panel is more expensive but also more conclusive, giving you details about your glutathione and SAM-e status, which are the end products of the cycle, and very important compounds.

You also have two COMT +/+ mutations... which usually indicate a hyperactive nervous system, prone to anxiety, maybe insomnia etc... If that's the case you may want to investigate possible dietary / lifestyle changes to help control the nervous system (e.g. helping GABA production, reducing stimulants etc, adding calming supplements or herbs...)

hope it helps

TheChosenOne

Thanks. This is very useful!
I haven't done any other kind of test besides this one, because the others are quite expensive.
I used to add in some B12, but it made me very tired with mood swings, while SAMe has a very positive effect on me. I guess it's because of the two COMT+/+ mutations.
Maybe I should try hydroxycobalamin...

Edit: I did a hair test which might be a bit unrelated.
EssentialMinerals.png

Last edited:

PeterPositive

Thanks. This is very useful!
I haven't done any other kind of test besides this one, because the others are quite expensive.
I used to add in some B12, but it made me very tired with mood swings, while SAMe has a very positive effect on me. I guess it's because of the two COMT+/+ mutations.
Maybe I should try hydroxycobalamin...
Yes, methyl supplements can be harder for people with several COMT mutations.
From the hair test magnesium and manganese seem not adequate. I am not sure how relevant these tests are ... depending on the methodology used? Also I often wonder how different types of hair may retain different minerals in different concentrations ... but anyways.

Adding some extra magnesium is usually beneficial, and you could try some manganese too, or maybe use a multi-mineral with both.​

TheChosenOne

Thanks for the replies.

I already take magnesium to combat chronic muscle pain and I also use a B50 complex (which includes B6).
The hair test might not be relevant because there is most likely deranged mineral transport involved. According to Cutler this points towards mercury toxicity. I've been chelating for about 3 months now and so far there is a significant change in mood, anxiety and stress resistance.
Although I suspect magnanese deficiency because of the connection with brain inflammation.

Edit: The chart that you see compares the concentrations in your hair with the concentrations of the general population. So 50% means that you are on average (for your sex and age).
There is deranged mineral transport if most of the bars are on one side, a lot of bars are in the red or when not a lot of bars are in the green area. The fact that I most likely have some form of mercury toxicity made me do a methylation test.