• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methylation, hypohomocysteine and muscle wasting?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Same here...from 2011 (already!)...my dhea was a 2 (ug/ml) with 3-10 being the normal range. Then there were kind of vague, generalized recommendations for supplementation included with the report. Unfortunately I didn't have the $$ to get back to the doctor ($180) for a consult on the results...so just kind of forgot about it (besides googling some horror stories about side effects including hair loss (which I don't need...my bald spot has grown enough in the last 5 years as it is! I know, shallow, but can't help it).

It does. I haven't been able to tolerate coffee in at least 10 years, and haven't had any in at least 7 or 8. The last time I tried a cup, if I had it after say 1pm or even noon, I'd be up until 3am. I wake up feeling like I've been hit by a truck, but also tense up (stress out) within an hour or less after I get up.

My salivary adrenal profile showed low cortisol at 8am, then it shoots up at noon (which is unusual, but makes sense stress-wise), then was in the 'normal' range at 4pm and then midnight. Normal, but perhaps a little on the low-normal side. I was diagnosed with adrenal 'burnout', not to be confused with adrenal fatigue, because I was still putting out too much cortisol during part of the day.

So...I'm guessing I should give it a try...maybe start with a low dose and try it for a few days. ???
Dannybex, I would worry more about bph when taking DHEA. Whether or not you can take it depends on what your body makes of it. That does not mean you should not take it (unless you can't figure it out) but that you should figure out how to get your body to make the right things out of it. So for a BIG clue, zinc is an aromatase inhibitor so don;t be low on zinc when taking DHEA and you might dodge any potential problem. I have lots of hair and I attribute it to eating an egg every day (sulfur) and putting a priority on antioxidants. Life Extension says that antioxidants have a huge role in protecting hair follicles. However the culprit is DHT I think. Which again goes to what hormones you make out of DHEA. I am not sure what limits DHT but I believe it is 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. SO

I take Life Extensions cruciferous vegetable extract to get my body to make the right hormones out of DHEA. The Meridian Valley labs I get to show me what hormones I am making tell me right on the lab report that broccoli will help me make the right hormones, I take it, and I make the right hormones. Here;s what I take: http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Triple-Action-Cruciferous-Vegetable-Extract-60-Veggie-Caps/22969

I also make sure to get enough iodine, selenium, and vitamin D as deficiencies in these lead to cancer. So that means a multivitamin plus for me a separate high dose D. You should read Lfe EXtension regarding hormone replacement before you embark on it. I have no idea if less DHEA has a significant effect. I run my DHEA higher than normal because it feels right and my doctors are ok with that because I make the right things out of it. Here's one of many Life Extension articles on safer hormone replacement for men: http://www.lef.org/protocols/male_reproductive/male_hormone_restoration_01.htm

dannybex

Dannybex I toot that OATS test and it said I was low in CoQ10 which was an eye-opener since I was taking 100mg ubiquinone. I do not know how much ubiquinol is needed for the Kreb cycle but it made me wonder if I could convert ubiquinone to ubiquinol. I read somewhere that you need thyroid hormone to turn ubiquinone to ubiquinol. No proof, so can't be sure. Well when we'uns were younger our thyroids made more hormone. I have a theory that it gets hardr to absorb zinc and copper as our hormones wane because metallothionein needed to absorb them is governed by hormones. It may be just me that has trouble with this because of my allergies you understand. I have a radar for this and I see it in other people too. Anyway unless you TSH < 2.0 your thyroid needs help (possibly more of the input nutrients which include zinc and copper). But actually it may be better to have your TSH closer to 1 as far as energy. Well we all know thyroid affects energy but one mechanism is via CoQ10 needed for the Kreb cycle. I can't say if taking ubiquinol helps that much. The thing about thyroid problems is they affect your brain too (the number one consumer of Kreb cycle energy) and it's thus hard to perform an experiment on yourself.

Is that all that you needed to fix your kreb's cycle -- more Coq10? If so, I'm insanely jealous. :) I know I haven't gotten enough pantothenate, and b3, although I think I have enough b2. Also will be starting the Kreb's Cycle Chelates as soon as I get that @#**!! OAT over and done with. Hopefully this weekend... :)

My thyroid tests as normal, doc did all the t3, t4, etc., tests, but indeed, it has worsened in the last 8 years or so and is now at 2.41. But there's no way my doc will treat that, as again, the lab report she has show's it's in the "normal" range. Can't get far with medicaid docs. I'm hoping that working on the krebs and continuing with methylation (and perhaps adding some coconut oil) will help the thyroid function better.