• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and Thyroid

Oci

Hi All, I have been feeling pretty crappy of late. I have been treating problems with Candida and also bladder and VV symptoms possibly due to oxalates. This seems to be getting better.

However, overall I am feeling worse. Very tired and higher than normal temperature ie 37.5 in daytime plus faster heart rate than normal for me. Heart in the throat feeling.

I just got the results of some testing and my free T3 is high. Is this high enough to account for the symptoms I am having?

Homocysteine 9.7 (<= 15.0 umol/L)

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone [TSH] 0.79 (0.30 - 4.00 mIU/L)
Thyroxine Free [Free T4] 13 (9 - 23 pmol/L)
Triiodothyronine Free [Free T3] HI 7.5 (3.5 - 6.5 pmol/L)

25-Hydroxyvitamin D 115 (75 - 25 nmol/L)

I take 2 x 30 mg of natural thyroid in the morning (Erfa) and 1 1/2 in the afternoon. It feels like I have gone hyperthyroid and it looks like I have too! I am stopping all thyroid for the moment. Why would this happen? I was doing well on this dose for a year and a half.

I also have been taking 2 of Yasko's All-In-One multi vitamins but no other B vitamins until I got the Great Plains OAT test done which I did yesterday. I wanted to get a baseline before adding more.

Is there enough methylation support in just 2 of the All-In-One to affect thyroid function?

BTW, here are my snps from Genetic Genie. Lots of others on MTHFR support.
++: COMT V158M, COMT H62H,VDR Taq, BHMT-02, BHMT-08, +-: MTHFR C677T +/-, MAO-A R297R, ACAT1-02, MTRR A66G, MTRR A664A, CBS A360A

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks! Ann

Gondwanaland

I take 2 x 30 mg of natural thyroid in the morning (Erfa) and 1 1/2 in the afternoon. It feels like I have gone hyperthyroid and it looks like I have too! I am stopping all thyroid for the moment. Why would this happen? I was doing well on this dose for a year and a half.
Perhaps you improved and now need a lower dose of hormone replacement :balloons:
Perhaps increasing the consumption of crucifer veggies would help you to feel a little more "normal"? They just made me feel hypo :grumpy: and I am increasing my hormone dose.

Oci

Thanks Gondwanaland. I guess that is my conclusion too. I'd really like to get rid of this yucky, tired feeling asap however. Perhaps I should just not take any supps for a day or several days.
It will be interesting to see what the GP Oat test says. I wonder how long it will take to get the results.

I had broccoli for dinner. That reminds me....I started Glutaclear several days ago. My doc had recommended it some time ago as my oxidative stress signs were high. I noticed it sitting there and decided to try it. I wonder how it is affecting me and if it is part of the picture? It contains...

Metagenics GlutaClear™ provides a blend of key ingredients designed to help boost the body's production of glutathione, a primary antioxidant throughout the entire body. Glutathione plays an important role in protecting the body against oxidative stress and detoxifying harmful compounds. Preliminary research suggests glutathione may also help protect mitochondria—the principle source of cellular energy—from damaging pro-oxidant influences. GlutaClear contains a unique blend of ingredients including N-Acetylcysteine, Niacinamide, Vitamin C, Selenium, and Broccoli seed extract, specifically designed by Metagenics to support healthy detoxification and provide antioxidant support.

1 TABLET CONTAINS:
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 500 mg
Niacin (as niacinamide) 750 mg
Selenium (as selenomethionine) 75 mcg
N-Acetylcysteine 750 mg
Broccoli Seed Extract 38.5 mg

Oci

Well, it is a good theory BUT...
I used to take Xymogen Oncoplex which contained...
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving
%Daily Value
Glucoraphanin (from broccoli extract)(Brassica oleracea italica)(seed)(SGS™)

It could be the combination of ingredients in the GlutaClear?

Question is what to do? It would be good if improved methylation and detoxification would mean that I didn't need thyroid supplementation. It is a bother!

Gondwanaland

Question is what to do?
I don't know, I am just sharing my experience
default_idontknow.gif

Johnmac

I don't use Yasko's supps, but the Freddd Protocol methylation supps have definitely lifted my thyroid function, & I have had to cut meds by 2/3. (Same with hydrocortisone & DHEA.)

Your symptoms - faster heart rate, heart in the throat feeling - were what I had 3 years ago on a too-high dose of thyroid meds. It took a few days to die down after stopping the meds (dessicated thyroid).

Oci

@Johnmac Thanks. Good to know. Do you remember if you also had a bit elevated temperature? Felt hot? I took only 1 ERFA yesterday and this morning - may need cut that out too. Will see.