• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl Trap and Over Methylation

Over methylation: If your folate is higher than body can adjust to, you might feel palpitations, restlessness, breathlessness, histamine reactions. If you're on a path to increase your methylation by slowly increasing these supps, you'll probably run into this.

For the palpitations, potassium. For the possibly unpleasant speediness or other things I mentioned, there are 2 approaches. Ben Lynch suggests dampening everything down by taking B3. I, OTOH, always had good results by immediately taking a 1mg sublingual B12, an essential partner in methylation.

Methyl trap is temporary low folate. These symptoms will typically involve skin...acne, angular chelitis, others.

It's an ongoing delicate balance between B12 and folate.

sheclimber has created a new 9 page guide to methylation, linked in my signature. Pages 5 and 6 address your question. It's in a list/table format.

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm desperate for help. I was unknowingly taking small amounts of mfolate (50mcg) and mb12 (10mcg) in an Elemental Diet shake. I felt really good while on the diet (2 weeks), but about 2-3 days after I began to get severe symptoms of anxiety and major panic. Could those small doses of mfolate and mb12 sent me into a methyltrap? I do have some mild GI issues and a family hx of Ulcerative Colitis, but I don't know if I have any genetic issues that would cause me to trap folate. If it is a methyltrap how do I get out? Should I just try some mb12 and see if I feel better? I have no desire to open methylation, I just want to stop feeling this way. Thanks in advance.

GreenMachineX

Over methylation: If your folate is higher than body can adjust to, you might feel palpitations, restlessness, breathlessness, histamine reactions. If you're on a path to increase your methylation by slowly increasing these supps, you'll probably run into this.

So what I've been experiencing is indeed overmethylation as this were my exact symptoms (except zero histamine at all, until I dial back the methylfolate, then I have a histamine episode consisting of full body itching and enhanced smell for a few hours in the afternoon). When I'm in that overmethylated state, why does niacin not stop it? I figured I should still be able to sleep if it's that. Or would I need even bigger doses, 100+ mg?

Or, if I'm using too much methylfolate, could taking the niacin actually be the opposite of what I should do? Niacin stops b12 from working, not folate, correct?

Last edited: