• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methotrexate

Ninan

I took methotrexate @15mg weekly. It seemed to improve some symptoms of my POTS. However no effect on the core ME symptoms. Take methylfolate on days other than your injection day thus preventing deficiency. But be careful you need to watch liver function tests, mine became elevated despite milk thistle supplementation etc. Liver needs to be watched carefully!
Thanks. I'm still thinking about it but don't want to risk my wonderful B12 effect. But I guess if I take it with B12 on the other days it might still work. My doctor would be monitoring my liver carefully if I went ahead and tried. Was the liver function the reason you had to quit metho?

You can take B12 all the time, regardless of Methotrexate. It is specifically Folic acid or its derivatives that must not be taken on the same days as Methotrexate as it seems metho works partially via interacting with the dihydrofolate reductse enzyme, although this mechanism may be more relevant for higher doses used as in Oncology.