• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metformin experiences?

I got put on metformin for my Polycystic ovarian syndrome, since the doctor was worried that there was just too much strain on my heart from the combo poly, POTS, and CFS/me so she wanted the insulin under control..I'm finding that it makes me pretty nauseous though even though I'm on a low dose. Has anyone else had adverse reactions to being on Metformin?

Nielk

I have been in Metformin for the past 9 months for diabetes. I don't seem to have any side effects from it and so far, it's working well for my sugar control.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I got put on metformin for my Polycystic ovarian syndrome, since the doctor was worried that there was just too much strain on my heart from the combo poly, POTS, and CFS/me so she wanted the insulin under control..I'm finding that it makes me pretty nauseous though even though I'm on a low dose. Has anyone else had adverse reactions to being on Metformin?

They make a slow release which may help with nausea, they do say it passes with time.

alex3619

I have been on metformin. I am supposed to be on it now but have not been able to get to a doctor to get a script.

In my case there were two issues. First, it induced hypoglycemia on a regular basis, though when I am at home this is easily corrected. Second, it caused me to gain even more weight.

The slow release version is probably better, as @heapsreal suggested.

Maybe I just need more time to get used to it :/ I'm still new on it so the next time I go to the doc for my check up I'll ask about the slow release..Because guh my stomach feels gross!

andre79

Before getting sick i was on metformin for insulin resistance and i didn't have any side effects.

When i got sick, i stopped.

Then, a few weeks ago i started taking it again (the slow release) and i felt very weird. I got even more skin hypersensitivity, uneasyness, nervousness, constipation (it usually produces diarrhea), and overall i wasn't able to handle it so i stopped. I read somewhere that metformin is really bad if you have mitochondria issues. So, i guess that's what happened to me, a pity really because i need to lose some weight :(

That's the whole reason i was glad to be on it @x@ The PCOS made me gain weight so I want to be on this durn medicine to lose to. So i'm just going to try and tough it out. -determined-

ukxmrv

I did very badly on Metformin for suspected PCOS.

My limited strength disappeared totally. I felt as if an elephant was on my chest and I was fighting through quickstand to even move, My breathing was hard and my heart thumping. To top it off I had stomach pain.

Didn't get any better. Sorry cannot remember dose.

Without getting up and looking at my bottle(I just lack the will to pull myself up off the couch, ha, i'm sure everyone understands!) i take the 500 dose before bedtime.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Without getting up and looking at my bottle(I just lack the will to pull myself up off the couch, ha, i'm sure everyone understands!) i take the 500 dose before bedtime.

I dont know if its a recommendation of the PCOS crowd to take it at night before you go to bed as i have heard someone else doing this, i could be wrong too on how it works, but metformin doesnt last that long in your system so when u wake up you probably dont have any metformin in your body so when u eat, insulin sensitivity isnt improved for when u eat. I would think the best time to take a single dose would be before breakfast, then it can improve your insulin sensitivity at breakfast and possibly lunch. This we its actions work when your eating your meals and can help lose weight.

just a thought and something to look into, taking it just before food may help the nausea too?

user9876

My wife was on metformin for PCOS. She was told to have the tablets just after eating rather than at bedtime so it might be worth ringing the pharmacist to ask when its best to take the tablets.

She found one brand did make her feel worse and assumed that it was due to the tablet coating. Also they can have quite a dramatic effect with certain foods causing sudden diarrhea (we thought stuff with additives but not really sure).

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Hi @xxRinxx

I take metformin for diabetes. It made me feel nauseous when I first started it but this settled down after a while.

At one stage I tried increasing the dose of slow acting metformin and I was so nauseous that I was dry retching frequently. I changed to fast acting and am fine with it. I take it three times a day and always take it with meals - 750mg, 500mg and 500mg.

Best wishes Andy