• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metaphors and medically unexplained symptoms - Lancet

A.B.

The domain of psychosomatic disease begins exactly where scientific knowledge ends.

The idea of psychosomatic disease is indistinguishable from superstitions of the past that were used to explain what could not be scientifically explained at the time.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
The idea of psychosomatic disease is indistinguishable from superstitions of the past that were used to explain what could not be scientifically explained at the time.

@A.B. can you recommend a good book/article on the subject? I'd like to arm myself for the next psychoquacker who crosses my path.

A.B.

@A.B. can you recommend a good book/article on the subject? I'd like to arm myself for the next psychoquacker who crosses my path.

Authors of our own misfortune?: The problems with psychogenic explanations for physical illnesses
Since the advent of "medicine" as a discrete practice, beliefs that bodily illness can somehow be caused by psychological, emotional, and behavioural "disorder" have been claimed by many in the discipline. Such beliefs became less creditable as scientific methods of detecting disease developed, with discoveries such as the physiological and anatomical abnormalities in Parkinson's disease and Multiple Sclerosis, for example, and the organisms causing syphilis and duodenal ulcers. Nevertheless, psychogenic explanations for illnesses still appear frequently within medical and academic literature, in "common sense" public discourses, and in medical diagnoses of patients. But how plausible are these explanations? Authors of our Own Misfortune? proposes that psychogenic explanations for physical illnesses are subject to a complex mix of confusing concepts, accompanied by certain moralistic and ideological assumptions about people and their illnesses. Most crucially, such explanations are also, almost always, fatally flawed, both scientifically and logically. Furthermore, the widespread, uncritical acceptance and use of such explanations has had serious and specific adverse effects on the people upon whom they are used. This is a timely, groundbreaking book about a critical theme in medicine. It provides rigorous analysis of the claims made about "mental disorder" and bodily illness, using current "medical controversies" (such as, but not limited to, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) to demonstrate the problems with and adverse effects of such claims. Authors of our Own Misfortune? is essential reading for academics, health professionals, and those directly or indirectly affected by psychogenic explanations for illness.

http://www.amazon.com/Authors-our-own-misfortune-explanations/dp/1479253952

sarah darwins

If you want quicker access to something by the same author (Angela Kennedy), this short document is a starting point, containing links to other docs - http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/d...Problems in the bio psychosocial approach.doc

It's a link to a .doc file on the site of the One Click Group. Their health advocacy page can be found here, and contains a lot of interesting stuff questioning the status quo: http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/documents/ME-CFS_docs/

They're not specifically about me/cfs, but they cover it a lot.

alex3619

I have been meaning to write a review of Angela's book for several years now, but I have not been cognitively functioning enough. Its probably the best book on the subject there is, but has a logical and sociological slant, so it depends if that is what you are looking for.

I wrote a review a few years back of a book that looked at it from the point of view of influence of large companies and other major vested interests.

There is so very much written about psychogenic babble. Its just scattered and often difficult to read.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I have been meaning to write a review of Angela's book for several years now, but I have not been cognitively functioning enough. Its probably the best book on the subject there is, but has a logical and sociological slant, so it depends if that is what you are looking for.

I usually take a dim view of sociology, but if this is the best book there is and it agrees with what I already think then I'll certainly enjoy indulging myself in a bit of confirmation bias.

sarah darwins

There's a review on the Amazon UK site which is a little critical, but mostly positive (all the rest are very positive). It's quite interesting to read, though I'm not sure how valid the criticisms areL

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R24W463SEBYWJD