• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metallic smell urine - detox cycles

Hey guys.

I'll keep intro brief before I get into the grit of it all.

I am 21 years old. Suffered brain fog, depression, anxiety, fatigue blah blah since I remember. After going to many doctors I finally realised its probably got to do with inflammation/methylation type problems. mg oWent to Integrative doctor, diagnosed with c667t homo and pyroluria. Diagnosed March 1st 2015. I have been on 25-50mh p5p, 800mg sam-e and 30-100mg zinc for 3 months (depending on detox symptoms) and 4.8mg of methylfolate daily for two months. I sparingly take 2000mg sublingually of methylb12, but always find symptoms worsen.

After about 2 weeks starting methylfolate, I started going through the "detox cycles", where my urine would have a very strong metallic odour to them. The cycles seem to go every 5-7 days, and when the burden of detox hits, my symptoms are really bad. However, in the middle of the cycle, my concentration improves. I find that with every cycle that goes past, my symptoms improve slightly, almost like steady improvement in amongst the detox. What is the smell? Is it copper? I find that if I up my p5p to 120mg my symptoms get really bad and I have absolutely no concentration, so I have to go slowly otherwise I seem not to cope. This also happens when I increase the zinc to 150+mg or increase methylfolate, or add methylb12.

Also, I have been trying different brands of p5p, namely thourne and country life. I expected the results from both brands to be the same, but I find the country life brand (which has calcium in it), makes me sleep real deep and long, and helps alot with motivation and concentration, while the thourne p5p, while worsening my sleep, enhances my mood more so. The thourne p5p is not really good for improving brain fog per se because it messes with my sleep. Does anyone know what's going on?

I am currently gluten + dairy + grain free (almost), eating mostly fruit, veg, potato and meat. Currently at a rowing club so training 7+ times a week, and definantly have the energy for it. Main problem is brain fog.

Thanks with all the help guys!